sick linkia starfish

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by Stingray, Jan 16, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Stingray

Stingray Blue Ringed Angel

My blue linkia starfish does not seem right, its been stuck on the back glass moving slowly for a few days with the tallest arm hanging right down past its body as if it has a broken limb, i've been told these don't survive long in a aquarium but i have only had it for 3 months.
    Could anybody who as kept or keeps one of these or had a similar experience, tell me is it multiplying or is it possibly dieing, what should i look out for?

Thanks...

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

Some will survive in tanks, but the majority die. I got one before reading up on it (I had a brand new tank) and it died within the month. Probably nitrates and lack of food. You can try to spot feed it and see if that works.

What are your params (full spectrum)?

I am always sad to see many linkias in a LFS, because I know that probably one in ten are going to survive.

4. Antagonist

Antagonist Bristle Worm

mine had died over a few weeks i was unaware these were as hard to keep as they are, my lfs usually cations me on stuff that dosnt last they didnt say a word on this one

5. getinpora

getinpora Coral Banded Shrimp

i keep one around a year that was the longest. i have had three altogether and i wont kill no more. they had one today at petco that was over 12'' from leg to leg for 12 dollars i was tempted but i know better good luck

6. Stingray

Thanks for your replys so far...
    Parameters are
    ph-8.0-8.3
    nitrate-less then 5ppm
    nitrite-0
    ammonia-0
    sg-1.025
    mag-1190
    calcium-400
    alk-9
    phosphates-00.3
    temp-79f
    i run 4 marine whites t5 14000k 34watt and 2 22000k actinics 20watt

I can add i have in certain places on the starfish seen white patches is this some kind of rotting, what happened when your guys starfish was dieing, does this sound familiar?

1 person likes this.
  7. Stingray

Well the starfish took a turn for the worse and was melting away, slimey white rotting flesh, for the benefit of the corals and inverts i took it out the tank and placed him in the freezer for the time being, don't know if i will get another whats the point if they can't survive, it was a bright addition and neighbours and friends were amazed at the creature i'm just gutted i could not do anything for him...r.i.p

8. Click Here!

9. bmshehan

bmshehan Fu Manchu Lion Fish

Do you have a fuge? I was looking at buying one but was told a fuge is a must to keep water where it needs to be and to supply food. I know Kogle has had one for around a year, it lost a arm before he tore down his 180 but it survived in a 30g while he restarted the 180 and is thriving to this day. Otty has a perfectly healthy one also, he has had it for at least a year I think. Contact Otty, he will tell you anything he knows about keeping them happy. I think perfect water quality is the biggest thing... sorry for your loss!

10. t4zalews

t4zalews Flamingo Tongue

I've had my blue linkia for about a year and 3 months. They say that they are hard to take care of but for some reason they like my tank. Have no reason why, mine has grown since I got it. I love blue linkias, they always can be seen and move throughout the day. It survived 3 moves so far, i have no fuge, I run UV, will be running phos reactor in a week. I'm sure that I don't have perfect water quality. I feed my tank more b/c I like to keep the tangs happy, but the nassarius snails/lobster/hermits and brittle star eat the leftovers before the linkia gets to it. Weird thing is the only star I had problems with was a fromia, he died in a week....thats weird
    http://www.3reef.com/forums/members/t4zalews-albums-reef-tank-picture1579-img-0200.jpg

Seriously, after 2 and half years I have a diatom bloom. reason for a phos reactor. damn silica, where you at RO/DI?

Last edited: Jan 18, 2009
  11. phoenixhieghts

phoenixhieghts Panda Puffer

Blue linika should be left in the ocean - it is a fact that their food source is unknown.

12. juliew

juliew Coral Banded Shrimp

Sorry for your loss, Stingray. Blue linkias are beautiful. K+