Sick Kole Tang

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by pja24, Oct 6, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. pja24

pja24 Bristle Worm

I have 55 gallon reef tank. I am little frustrated. I have been up and running for 7 months and things seemed to be going great till today. I cycled with shrimp approx. 2 months to make sure i went slow. I entered my first fish two green chromis. Two weeks later I added two occ. clowns. I lost the 2 chromis about a week apart. Approx. 1 month after I added three corals Zoa's, Hammer, green candy cane, Another two weeks my kole tang. Then finally the orange spotted goby and flame angel about three weeks ago. This morning I noticed my Kole Tang looks very lethargic, thin, breathing heavy and hiding in the rock. Tonight he doesn't look like he is going to make it. I have researched on 3reef for possible problems. I don't see any signs of ich, fluke, cloudy eyes, spots, etc. I do notice the flame angel has what appears to be a small hole above his eye. It also seems to have a white spec that appears one second and then it is gone the next. Could this be some type of parasite, worm?? I am looking for advice: should I treat the tank with a anti parasitic solution?? And which would you guy/gals recommend. I don't think I can catch and quaritine this fish due to rock work etc. I really don't want to lose the existing fish in the aquarium. Any help and solutions would be appreciated. Sorry so long. Thanks

Tank Parameters
    Salinity 1.024
    PH 8.2
    dkh 10
    Temp. 77-79
    Amonia 0
    phosphates 0
    Nitrates 0
    Mag. 1350
    Calcium 440

2. Click Here!

3. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

The hole on the angel sounds like it *may* be hole in the head disease which is caused my poor diet - could be a lack of greens and vitamins. But it's hard to say without pictures.

With no obvious signs on the kole, it sounds like it could be some type of internal parasite or bacterial infection. An internal parasite could be the cause for the thinness. Again, it's really to know...

4. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Laterial line disease it thought to be caused by a number of factors including nutrition problems, stray voltage, no one really knows the exact cause but there are a number of theories. Interventions include reducing all stressors like less than ideal water conditions. The link below maybe able to give you some guidance.

Marine Head & Lateral Line Erosion: A Description of the Syndrome and a Review of its Speculated Causes by Steven Pro - Reefkeeping.com

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

;D

5. RedGambit

RedGambit Giant Squid

Most of the internal parasite medications, need to be treated in a separate tank.

As for the angel, if you feed it nori/seaweed, try soaking it in a vitamin c solution. And keep the water levels pristine in the tank, If you catch it early if it surely is HLLE, it does help reverse the problem a bit.

6. pja24

pja24 Bristle Worm

Water conditions seem to be good. I do 10% water changes every two weeks religiously. I have noticed the Kole did not eat greens at all. I have tried the sea veggies, broccoli, but he/her seemed to be more scared of it than attracted to eat it. He/she ate formula one. After I got the flame angel I purchased formula two which the flame angel seems to like. The kole tang would eat very little of the formula two. Is it possible the kole tang starved itself? But like i stated it seem to really like the formula one, weird. I do have a ground probe so I kinda ruled stray voltage out. What do you guy suggest feeding the flame angel. I went to LFS today they didn't seem to help very much. Suggested to feed the fish some type of frozen food with medication treatment in it. Flame Angel doesn't seem to eat a whole lot of food. He does pick at the rocks quite a bit. Thanks

7. RedGambit

RedGambit Giant Squid

Angel if it is already eating seaweed and it is indeed HLLE, I would add vitamin C to the diet.

As for the tang Have you tried some garlic extract stuff in the green foods? It took me a while to get my chevron to eat Seaweed/Nori constant. They do need the filament algae in the tank however because of their mouths shape and how it works.

8. Click Here!

9. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

My tang loves Ocean Nutrition formula two flakes, which contain algae. My angel loves them as well. It also took both my tang and angel awhile before they would eat off the seaweed clip. You can try rubberbanding the seaweed to the rocks as well. That makes it more natural for them.

You can buy liquid vitamins to add to their food.

10. pja24

pja24 Bristle Worm

I will try to soak the sea veggies in the garlic/vitamin C see if that helps out. Just looked at the Tang I don't think he is gonna make it through the night. I am disappointed about it. He/she is a cool fish. Thanks for your time. I appreciate your help. This site is awesome, if you guys were not around i would have given this hobby up along time ago.

11. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

Sorry to hear you don't think he's going to make it. :( Good luck with everything.

12. pja24

pja24 Bristle Worm

Thanks for your help.