Sick Kole Eye Tang - Help Please!

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by Jup4_Lita85, Apr 15, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Jup4_Lita85

Jup4_Lita85 Astrea Snail

Hey everyone I would really appreciate your expertise with this one. I purchased a Kole Eye Tang about 4 weeks ago he has been in a QT from the beginning. He is very shy and the only thing I can be sure he is eating is dried nori. The other foods I have tried have gone to waste for the most part. I saw him trying to nibble on some mysis but he seems to spit it out more than he eats it.
    Anyhow about a week and a half ago this fish started deteroriating. At first his color just faded out he looked really chalky but it would come back whenever I fed. Then I started seeing some larger spots on his face. The spots were to big to be ick, I assumed parasite. I treated but nothing got better. The spots on his face became a large raised brown patch towards the tail on either side. About two days ago ick did start to show up on his fins and tail, so I tried treating for ick.
    Also his mouth looks very red and inflammed almost like it is rotting away.
    Through out all of this he has continued to eat and swim.
    Today I noticed some rapid breathing (though it could have been me freeaking out trying to take photos)

I don't know what to do to try to save this guy. He is such a beautiful fish and no one diease fits so I'm not sure what to do. The pics I have are not great though I think it shows what is hapening to his tail and mouth and I tried to get a side shot for the large inflammed spot.
    Any advice would be very much appreciated.
    Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

It might be the beginning of HLLE. I would soak the nori in selcon (because its an easy all in one) but you could do any vitamin c and amino acid mix. Its turned it around for my Tang.

4. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

Ugh, poor guy. He looks rough. :(

The head/face spots sound like HLLE, but the photos don't really look like it to me. But I can't see too well. I would guess it is some sort of bacterial infection.

You can QT and treat with antibiotics, or leave him be and hope clean water and healthy food (soaked with Selcon) help pull him through.

5. Jup4_Lita85

Jup4_Lita85 Astrea Snail

Thanks for the advice I will continue to give him Nori then and put the selecon on that. I had been doing vita chem. Any advice on which antibotic to use?

6. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

I really don't know much at all about the different antibiotics. Just make sure you only use those in a QT tank! I think Maracyns are ok - there are different versions, and they treat different types of bacteria. It's hard to recommend one, because it's hard to know what the fish actually has.

How does he look today? Is he still eating?

7. rsjakp

rsjakp Bristle Worm

The bad thing about this poor fish is if his mouth is infected or "rotting away" he is doomed. In my research this species has a high mortality rate when it comes to infections or injuries to the mouth, since they rely solely on there bristletooth to scrape algae from the rocks and tank. Keep using a vitamin like selcon or vitachem and good luck. You never know he may pull through.