Sick Coral............Black slime fungus?

Discussion in 'Coral Diseases' started by Jay, Oct 13, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Jay

Jay Teardrop Maxima Clam

Good evening Reefanatics:

I received some corals shipped from a private party early last week. You might remember the one I posted with the Oyster attatched. Well these arived in water that was only 60 degrees. The guy who shipped it didnt tape down the lid and the water was air temp. Well some have passed away but I still have most. Some are looking great but this one has this black slim that grows across the zoonithids polyps. It grows most at night. You can actually see where it slid off 1 polyp and oozed to the next one leaving a little ...bridge.. of slime.
    I comes off but just grows back. Its killing the polyps patch by patch.

Any ideas?

All my water parameters look great.

How do I fix this. I have already done a 25 % water change and tryed that reef/coral dip.

Jay

Attached Files:

• sick.jpg
      sick.jpg
      File size:
      118.4 KB
      Views:
  2. Click Here!

3. Jay

Jay Teardrop Maxima Clam

Anyone's help would be great. Has anyone else seen this? Might be too late save.

Jay

4. Jay

Jay Teardrop Maxima Clam

I will try to clean it I guess

J :-/

5. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

Jay,

It's really hard to tell what the problem might be without a close up picture :)

However, I had a look in my coral book and the closest that I could find was Black Band disease.

If you are willing to experiment then try a 3-5 minute freshwater dip, just heat up some freshwater to approx 75f and put the coral in, maybe even use a turkey baster to blow off some or all of the slime. I would also have another container of FW ready to just dip the coral into for a final rinse.

John

6. Speedy

Speedy Fire Shrimp

Hmmm. I hope I'm not too late. How are the zoos doing now? I had some black slime destroy almost all my sun polyps. I was able to salvage a small strip of live polyps by taking the rock out and with a soft bristle toothbrush brushed it off into a container of saltwater. making sure to leave absolutely no slime on the rock I placed it back into the tank.

At the time the slime grew, I also had an absurd amount of phosphates so check that out.