Sick Clowns - Help/Advice PLS...

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by omard, Nov 23, 2003.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Omar both those food are flakes? Definitely get some meatier foods. Some of the frozen cube stuff. I used to use Formula I and liked it a lot.

I am sure there are a lot of good ones now. Don't just get krill or something, get a mixed mulch.

2. Click Here!

3. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

I soak mysis shrimp with liquid vitamins and my gang loves the stuff!

4. turbo4603

turbo4603 Teardrop Maxima Clam

so wut food do you all recomend
    i know i sound weird, but im almost ready to finally set up my tank, Im waiting for the filter (thats on its way), and the heater and thats it. i have it all.then i buy lr and the water and i have nature in a tank,
    sorry had to let someone know!

[smiley=loco.gif] [smiley=LolLolLolLol.gif]

5. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

Craig, Matt, Nautilus, et. al.

After spending day closely watching tank "activity" - Am now almost certain the two clowns have had severe falling out.

While not seeing any direct confrontation during day, they pretty much spend most of time in opposite ends (of 48" tank) - very unlike the "togetherness" they have had since introduction couple of days ago.

And yes, no anenome - you guys talked me out of that a few weeks ago...

Noone showing any interest in couple of leather corals or "bubble" in tank.

Maybe they (or one) got over fear of new environment after first couple of days, enough to start squabble with other. -

Am not ruling out water problems possiblility...am confident of my testing (& results)...but without using RO/DI water could be problems I don't see - am also going to increase frequency of periodic 10% water changes. Fish population increase probably justifies it.

Matt - will try to find some "formula one" frozen food tomorrow - today just got a brine shrimp, spirolina mix to supplement flake food feedings with. - this whole "feeding" issue is a science unto itself. Up to now have just been happy they have been eating at all, not so much worried about "exactly" what.

Are SeaChem "Reef Plus" & "Reef Complete" providing right vitimins or do I need to add something else?

Still much to learn about all this...

Thanks for input from all.

OmarD

6. Craig Manoukian

[quote author=omard link=board=ASAP;num=1069597908;start=0#13 date=11/23/03 at 17:33:15]
    Are SeaChem "Reef Plus" & "Reef Complete" providing right vitimins or do I need to add something else?OmarD[/quote]

Good detective work!

No Seachem products are not vitamins but rather trace elements. I use Kent Zoe vitamins to supplement the mysis.

7. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

Can use swap out one of the clowns with the LFS?

8. Click Here!

9. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

^^^ That may not be a bad idea.

I prefer Percula clowns myself - very docile and playful.

An old roomate had a Maroon Clown and it was a mean S.O.B..

fwiw.

@omar, I used a shot glass with tank water to thaw the frozen cubes prior to adding it to the tank, then poured the chunks in and dumped the swill in the sink. ;)

10. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

@Nautilus

re: "Can use swap out one of the clowns with the LFS?"

Little chance...have only one LFS in area - and since I purchased "online" he would not be happy about taking in one obtained elsewhere...I have had similar experience with him in recent past about a clam. (esp. as now neither fish is in first rate condition)

My hope is that "squabble" will sort itself out before any real permanent damage is done...and things will settle down between them and both live "happily ever after"

Spent some close observation time this evening...the two are staying in opposite ends of tank..with only occasional "meetings" out in middle..there is some definite Clown "interaction" going on between them..circuling about each other, doing "body shimmies" & some "body bumping" - one of them does seem to be gaining dominance over other as one in particular is always first to flee to far end of tank when other makes a serious run at him. Happens so fast I can't tell if actual "nip" occurs..

Of course, if any more serious "damage" become evident, I will make alternative living arrangements for one, esp. if we rule out water condition possiblity completely.

Rgds,

OmarD

11. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

Response from "query" I sent to Clown "Source"

Hi,

Thanks for the email. They are fighting and that is what is happening to their tails. You cannot keep two in the same tank.

Thanks,
    Customer Service Team
    Saltwaterfish.com
    www.saltwaterfish.com

Ok...guess 1 Clown going to new home...

OmarD

[​IMG]

12. Craig Manoukian

Yes after thinking about it clowns in their natural environment live in family groups, but as they are hermaphroditic, one will be the larger dominant female.  Clowns of similar size will fight for dominance and once established one will be much bigger.  In a closed sytem they will fight to the death.  Bummer, but now you know, eh?