Sick Clowns - Help/Advice PLS...

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by omard, Nov 23, 2003.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

Hi,

Received two Maroon Clowns from SaltWaterFish.com 19 Nov. both arrived in good condition and following recommended acclimation procedure, quickly adapted well to new environment conditions in tank - this A.M. (23 NOV) noticed both suffering from severe fin deterioration - one fish not coming out of "hiding" among rock which has not been normal behavior to this point. (Looked fine last night...so this condition is "moving fast." ) - WHAT TO DO?

[​IMG]

0600 A.M. 23 NOV 03​

Water Params:
    SG: 1.023PH: 8.2Ammonia: 0 NO2 (Nitrite): 0 ppmNO3 Nitrate 0 ppm
    Temp: 78 F
    Ca 450 ppm
    PO4 (Phospate): 0.1
    Cu (Copper): 0 ppm

THX

OmarD :(

2. Click Here!

3. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

Scott,
    When was the last water change? and how much water was changed?
    Do you use RO/DI water?
    It could be stress or water needing changed. IMO

4. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

Thx for fast response Nautilus...

Have been doing 10% water change twice a month...In fact was time to do this weekend...and had yet to get around to...

Certainly easy to do as water sitting and ready.

I do not use RO/DI water...know I should, but water here is pretty good right out of tap...and I dose it and let it sit before using...negligible readings on it for everything I test for. LFS rates OK also...

Of course my "imagination" is running wild with all kind of "grusome" scenerio's... this is easy 1st step...
    Hey am off to do H2O change right now...

Am off to do now...

OmarD

5. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

If your water tests are accurate, this is weird. [smiley=worried2.gif]

What are you feeding these guys?

6. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

Your tangs and or coral beauty are munching your new inhaitants. Tangs are very territorial. What are the dimensionds of your tank. If there is not at least 48" of lateral swim room this "close quarters" could add their sometimes natural aggressiveness.

You can rearrange your LR to see if te change in land scape reduces the terrotorial behavior. Failing that, you may heve to give them to someone or an LFS. The other fish will kill them eventually unless something changes.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news!

7. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

Craig...you could be right, however I have never seen the least bit of "aggressive" beharior from the tangs to each other or other fish...

Unless it is happening in dark of night, where clowns may be trying to hide out in someone else's "designated spot"...

Am going to spend night up with flashlight on hand to watch for this evening...right now all getting along fine...

Matt - am feeding (and they are eating) - combination of "Ocean Nutritiion Prime Reef" & "Ocean Nutritiion Brine Shrip Plus" flake food. -

The clowns may want something a little more "meaty" so will stop by Petco this afternoon and get something more solid. Wanted to get for Sun Polyps which I am trying to coax into health anyway...

Also to shop for another tank, as if their condition gets any worse by tomorrow, am going to start up & they are coming out.

OmarD (Scott in Silverdale, WA)

8. Click Here!

9. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

PS

Craig...thought just came to me...the two clowns may be doing to each other!...struggle for dominance and decision on who is going to "pants" in family could be going on.

There has seemed to be much bumping and nudging going on between two which till now I have thought was just normal behavior...might have been a real knock down drag out last night.

Om

10. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

Scott
    that may be true but you would see wounds also just not tattered fins.
    Fins are most likly water conditions. I recommend RO/DI water change.
    What is the TDS of the tap water as it changes daily.

11. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

Also Clown can take on the meanest of fish so the tang thing I don't see happening

12. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

[quote author=Nautilus link=board=ASAP;num=1069597908;start=0#8 date=11/23/03 at 11:12:25]Also Clown can take on the meanest of fish so the tang thing I don't see happening[/quote]

Agreed if the clown has been in the tank first and is not too much smaller than the tangs. In addition, can that much fin damage be due to water quality in just one evening?

Good observation Scott, clowns will battle for dominance especiaaly if they are fighting over an anenome.  I don't believe you have an anenome with your lighting though.