Sick Cichlids

Discussion in 'Fish Disease' started by NY13a13eNY, Mar 19, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. NY13a13eNY

NY13a13eNY Plankton

I have a 55 gal tank of chiclids, one of them died a few weeks ago. His belly was swolen for about 3 days and his mouth was white not to mention he was coughing out a white substance. Well he is dead now and I am thinking another one of my fish has what ever he had. The other fish was one of the dominant ones now his mouth opens and closes alot like he is breathing hard and he sits under a rock all day and gets chased around by one of the little fish which is odd seeing that he was one of the tuff guys

2. Click Here!

3. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

I don't know much about cichlids particularly, but some things to check would be pH (they like about 8 right?), and nitrates - sometimes they can build up in the water to levels that stress the fish.

Meantime, hopefully someone else can pick up here, as that is about all I have...sorry... :)

How long have you had the fish and what is your setup? (you can enter setup info under your profile in the signature section and it will show with each post) Thanks...

4. Black_Raven

Black_Raven Scooter Blennie

I would consider treating the whole tank with a broad spectrum antibiotic like sulfamethoxazole.