Sick Cichlid?? Lifespan???

Discussion in 'Cichlids' started by Executivelevel, Feb 28, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Executivelevel

Executivelevel Peppermint Shrimp

There is a 20gal tank with a gold color cichlid in it ( I dont know much about these fish) It is over 3 yrs old (Im not sure on the exact age because I havnt been here too long and no one seems to remember how long the fish has been here) He has not been eating well the last week or so and his bright gold color seems to be fading some on his sides into more of a light gold/white color. He usually eats very well, until this week. He has also been spending more time hiding behide his rocks the last few weeks. Is he just old?? How long do the live usually?? or is he sick??
    Is there anything I can do?

2. Click Here!

3. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

cichlid :) thats a broad brush that includes Angels to Discus to Oscars . To large mouth bass to crappie :) They tend to be long lived and aggressive . Is any looking after the tank ? Filtration water test ? could be getting ready to get into spawning mode .. May try a water change and P.H testing. they produce lots of waste .. Falling P.H is always a major factor with them.

4. Executivelevel

I look after it the best Im able to with what we have here. He has a filter, heater and bubbler and I keep the tank clean and do partial water changes often. he is definatly aggressive from what Im told they tried to give him tank mates a couple times years ago but he killed them all (they added other cichlids I think. I have not done any ph testing or anything like that, I work at a seminary and we dont have much extra cash for things like that, and I dont have any extra I can bring from home right now. Im not sure what kind of fish it is exactly I was told it is a cichlid but thats is. Its about 5 inches and a bright gold kind of color.

5. Executivelevel

also when I do water changes and cleaning I add stress coat stuff. He does always seem a little more active after a water change, I will try doing one today and see if his mood improves.

I have a feeling though he may be getting pretty old, I am going to keep asking around and try to figure out his age. I think he was donated though so even if I figure out how long hes been here that may not help me figure out an age.

I hope he doesnt die =( he makes this dirty little library seem so much nicer!

6. ReefPlayground

ReefPlayground 3reef Sponsor

There can be a couple issues. a 5" fish in a 20g tank is the main problem. Most likely, the behavior is due to poor water quality, ie: elevated levels of ammonia, nitrites or nitrates...or all three. ;p

1: Take a cup of your aquarium water to your local fish shop and get it tested. (its free almost everywhere). Ask for the actual number levels for ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, ph, kh.

2: How often do you do water changes and how large?

3: What do you feed and how often?

4: Find out what species of cichlid it is. Post a picture if you could, or opst any descriptive charactaristics. (mouth shape, general body shape, fin colors, color patter, mouth shape, etc etc)