Sick baby blasto needs help

Discussion in 'LPS Corals' started by Speedy, Jul 26, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Speedy

Speedy Fire Shrimp

Pics of the baby blasto. Everything else is healthy I just want this to be the center of attention right now. Any advice on this coral is really needed. Thanks in advanced.

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

hmm...i have a plate coral that looks like that...if u can control the algae...the coral should be ok...my plate is only 1/4 of the circle...its not regrowing but its not dying...i would just try to get the algae controled

4. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

By the pic I would have to say that is some form of open Brain I think, But anyway. It looks as though the tissue loss has been like that for awhile. You may want to try and feed it. Something like cyclop eeze or even mysis. Give it what it will take and keep feeding it as often as it will take food. Also as Bruce stated keep the algae off it.

Jason

5. Jay

Jay Teardrop Maxima Clam

Well, I dont know if this will help your blasto but I have a caulastrea coral ( see the pic) that was receded alot, One polyp was almost gone. I just put in the best place in my tank as far as correct current and light and paid close attention to its feeding habits. I have never had a blasto but from the looks of it they feed similer to a Favia ar Acan or Caulastrea coral, that is after dark with feeding tenticles extended. I fed mine every night after lights out when the feeding tenticles came out with really small krill and mysis. I meen really small. I also feed the tank everyother night with that Reef Chilli stuff at about double the dode he recomends. With heavy skimming and religous water changes on a schedual I have been able to keep the nitrates pretty much in check even with what I consider heavy feeding of my corals. This Caulastrea coral grew back the dying polyp the coral now has polyps that are splitting into 2 and 3 more. :)

I always pay close attention to how each coral I have likes to feed and make sure they all get fed regularly at the appropriate time with the appropriate size food.

Heres the pic of the coral. It really lookes sad when I got is.

The day I got it

http://www.3reef.com/photos/showphoto.php?photo=613&cat=500&page=1

Picture taken today

http://www.3reef.com/photos/showphoto.php?photo=614&cat=500&page=1

Recent Macro shot

http://www.3reef.com/photos/showphoto.php?photo=595&cat=500&page=2

Again this may not help your blasto coral but it has worked for me :)
    Hope this helps

Jay

6. Jay

Jay Teardrop Maxima Clam

Jason....you posted while I was typing...hehe. Great minds think alike huh :)

Jay

7. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

very nice looking coral :)

8. Click Here!

9. Jay

Jay Teardrop Maxima Clam

Thanks Bruce.