sick anemone (picture)

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by lbscoob20, Feb 14, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. lbscoob20

lbscoob20 Plankton

Hi - I've got a pretty basic 75-gal setup. Just enough liverock to look barely "full" with not much coral. Lighting is 4 75-W VHO bulbs (on a timer ~ 12 hr/day). Fish are: clowns (2), lawnmower blenny, scopas tang, yellow-headed goby. The tank has been set up for about 6 yrs with different "rotations" of fish.

I just bought a couple of feather dusters and a long tentacle anemone this past week (tues night) for a little more decoration. The anemone looked decent in the store but has struggled from day one. I acclimated it for about an hour total (30 min bag floating then 30 min of incremental water in the bag at about 10 minutes each). I didn't notice anything strange in the 10 minutes in the tank that night before lights out.

On Wed morning i noticed the anemone on its side and tentacles shriveled up. Didn't think too much just figured it was a little shocked. That evening it looked about the same and in the same spot....and again on Thur morning. Thur morning, though, before i left for work i turned the light on early. That day it had moved to the back of the tank (not under any rocks though) and tentacles were full...he was still on his side, though. I tried feeding but wasn't interested. On Fri, though, it was back to the shriveled up state and i noticed what looked like some kind of growth or "explosion" of some sort of white puffy-like substance coming out of the foot. Could this be signs of some infection or bacteria that i should be concerned with? The anemone doesn't look very good. Does it look like something that could be treated? Is this the beginning of the end? How do I decide when to just pull it from the tank to avoid making a big mess? (i've heard a dying anemone can mess up the chemical levels).

thanks,
    Scott

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 14, 2009
  2. Click Here!

3. jakeh24

jakeh24 Pajama Cardinal

I'm not sure on treating anemones but it will do a lot more then just mess up your levels it will take almost everything down with it

4. lbscoob20

lbscoob20 Plankton

Thanks for the encouragement....... :-/

5. 10acrewoods

10acrewoods Fire Goby

6. jakeh24

jakeh24 Pajama Cardinal

er sorry lol that didnt sound good
    just kinda wanted you to know that when it dies its a bad thing
    cause I didnt want it to wipe out your whole tank

7. lbscoob20

lbscoob20 Plankton

went back and added pics.....rookie mistake! :)

8. Click Here!

9. 10acrewoods

10acrewoods Fire Goby

doesn't look good how long has it been this way and how long have you had it.

10. lbscoob20

lbscoob20 Plankton

purchased Tues night and noticed the white stuff coming out of the foot on Friday.

1 person likes this.
  11. Annie3410

Annie3410 Teardrop Maxima Clam

i dont think you have near enough light for an anemone.

12. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

Your anemone has an injured foot and his internals are coming out. Not a good thing at all as this is almost certain death.