shrooms question

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by JOER0178, Apr 30, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. JOER0178

JOER0178 Peppermint Shrimp

Ive noticed that one of my shrooms is detaching from the rock, i presume to reproduce, Ive noticed that its been partially detached for 2-3 days now is this normal, does it take a while to completely detach

2. Click Here!

3. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

Mushrooms generally detach if they are not comfortable were they are. I have had 10 shrooms on a rock and only one jumped off.
    so It's not really any thing you have done.
    It will take some time but when it finally detaches you may want to find it a home (force it to attach some were you chose) or just let it blow around and attach some where else

4. NUGIO

NUGIO Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

I choose to let mine settle wherever they want .i think it looks more natural

5. Speedy

Speedy Fire Shrimp

In case you want to use a more controlled method of coral placing. I suggest you use the well know bridal veil method. This material can be found in most craft supply stores or fabric stores, and is very cheap.

The other thing you can do is wait for it to detach and slice and dice it into 4 pieces (like a pizza) and set yourself up with 4 new mushrooms. Check out the article on garf on this:

http://garf.org/trever/MUSH.html

By the way, if you choose to cut it the use of supplemental iodine will help the shroom recover.

It might be propagating naturally, however, you'd see the baby shroom before it detaches. I'd say it's just not comfortable, maybe it's overcrowded. But it is perfectly normal for this to happen. ;D

6. JOER0178

JOER0178 Peppermint Shrimp

thanks everyone, i just figured he would detach quicker. i think hes detaching because hes a little cramps theres a bunch of shrooms on a little rock. going off to make his own colony. interesting article david thanks.

7. aic007

aic007 Astrea Snail

Would new shrooms grow off the stalk? I noticed some tubes coming off the side of some of my larger shrooms and now I noticed 4-5 very small shrooms in the tank. I want to frag this one shroom that is bright pink/purple with some small bumbs on it but am afraid that I will kill it. It;s the only one on the rock with all my purple shrooms and is different from the rest. Do you think I should try with one of the other ones first?

Thanks,

aic

8. Click Here!

9. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

aic,

How long have the mushrooms been in your tank?

10. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

[quote author=NUGIO link=board=Coral;num=1083333605;start=0#2 date=04/30/04 at 08:12:27]I choose to let mine settle wherever they want .i think it looks more natural[/quote]

ditto

11. aic007

aic007 Astrea Snail

Been in there for approx 3 months, could be a little longer but I am noticing that that they are starting to reproduce like crazy. Lots of small mushrooms under the big caps.

12. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

Things are good if your Mushrooms are reproducing! Congrats!