Shriveled Ricordia

Discussion in 'Coral Health' started by CLoob, Jun 13, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. CLoob

CLoob Astrea Snail

I bought a rock with 3 Ricordia on it about 3 weeks ago. I had them placed on the top of my reef close to the lights but they didn't look happy so I placed them on the sandbed last week but they are even more shriveled.
    A couple of factors may be causing this;

1. I changed two PC bulbs out last week, 1 50/50 and an Actinic. I still have two more bulbs to change out.
    2. there is decent flow where I placed them on the sandbed.

Any help would be much appreciated as I don't want to lose them. My lighting is 144w in a BC29.

2. Click Here!

3. MDeth

MDeth Feather Star

The rics will come back no matter how shriveled. Its hard to kill a shroom.

^That being said, I'd put them about mid-way in the tank and leave em :)

4. jtReef

jtReef Ritteri Anemone

I have found that my ricordia like very little light and very little flow.

5. CLoob

CLoob Astrea Snail

Thanks all for the advice. I will move the Rics up halfway tonight and monitor how they are doing.

6. djnzlab1

djnzlab1 Aiptasia Anemone

Be sure your waters is ok

HI,
    I have seen mine react to changes in water quality, even the slightest shift seems to irritate them.
    Be sure your water is staying clean and being skimmed well.
    I try to feed a phyto plankton twice week for all my inverts they really show some impovement after that.
    I usally shut down the returns and the skimmers to allow some contact time maybe an hour I leave the penguins/powerheads running cause they help keep the water moving while not filterng out the micro plankton this improves the contact time.My favorite phot is the freeze dried one I get at that marine depot.
    Most canister filters will filter out the food real fast, ditto for skimmers they suck the plankton out in about an hour. If you have a sock or a pad it will too.
    IF you have any undesirable nitrates or nitrite or NH3 inverts really suffer.
    My hermits usally warn me by not moving around or hidding , if my canisters need cleaning or the skimmer stop skimming cause the veturi's are dirrty.
    Is a constant job keeping those things working at their peak.
    Doug

7. Avidreefer

Avidreefer Plankton

I have found with my ricordias that they prefer low light and actually moved from where i put them and like a minimal amount of current. I had them about halfway up and in minimal carent and both of them (seperate shrooms) moved to new locations lower down in the tank.

8. Click Here!

9. reefboy23

reefboy23 Feather Duster

Remember....it's a good thing to acclimate new corals and mushrooms,clams etc. to new light....i would'nt purchase a coral and immediately place it at the top of the tank in a full blast of light instead try to dose the light like actinics for a few days then daylight for a while and gradually increase too much immediate light will shock the animal. :)

10. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Hard to kill a shroom but ricordeas are much easier to kill :D

Low light, low to medium flow. I keep them on the sandbed of my 180 which has 400 watt MH and they seem to do very well.

11. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

Yumas require high light unlike their cousin ricordea florida which is a low light coral. I dont even wanna count how many yumas melted on me back when I had PCs. I read somewhere that yumas need low light and ricordea floridas needed high light, but they must have gotten that backwards cause I had all kinds of ricordea florida's in that tank. The yumas next to them melted away.