shrimp

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by Bogie, May 10, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. wildreef

wildreef Stylophora

Sorry, did not mean to "patronize" was not my intention.
    but any ways , we know now whats in it ( according to the web site )lol:idea:
    And no offence here bogie but had i not followed up on a web search for ya ' you would have continued to use that stuff.

Any way's all I was trying to do is help/suggest to you what i use, and how you might get that devils hand back on track. I havint had any probs with my corals since I bought
    "straight elements" and none of those "snake oils" as I call them.
    ( my first tank a *125 was a mess in the beginning )
    And when ever possible I buy "seachem" items

Last edited: May 10, 2008
  2. Click Here!

3. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

I haven't read the whole thread but this did catch my eye. There are parasites that burrow into leathers and eat them from the inside out so that's something else to keep in mind.

Also, we have used Kent's Essential Elements for years with no ill effects. If you take a look at most salt mixes, you'll see that they contain copper as well. In fact, all sea water contains minute amounts of copper but not enough to harm your inverts. Now, if you're adding too much of the Essential Elements or other supplements that contain heavy metals, you may be causing problems as these metals can be absorbed into your rock to be leached out slowly back into the system over time. Change carbon more often and run a product like Cuprisorb to remove these excess heavy metals if necessary.

Last edited: May 11, 2008
  4. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

Hence, another good reason for getting a poly-filter to run in filter system periodically...

See post: Poly-Filter

Note:

Poly-Filter is for filtering and purifying both fresh and salt water. It is a formulation of a special patented material bonded to a synthetic matrix that can absorb and adsorb contaminants and other toxic materials. Poly Filter is non-toxic and harmless to biological filtration because it allows a sufficient amount of ammonia to reach the biological filter to sustain the bacteria culture. Provides a supplemental means of removing ammonia when the biological filter is unable to break down the excess ammonia.

5. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Oh, and back to your original question, you can keep fire shrimp and emerald crabs together but don't expect to see much of your fire shrimp as they are very shy.

6. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

Ahhh, but ooh so pretty when you get to see them...;)

[​IMG]

Shrimp Pics

(always room for more shrimp - ::))

;D

Last edited: May 11, 2008
    1 person likes this.
  7. Bogie

Bogie Snowflake Eel

Glad this got back on track...I'll let everyone know what we get: fireshrimp or emerald crab, whichever we decide...or both?
    And I guess if there were any substantial amount of copper in the Essential Elements (enough to impact the health of the inverts) then it would be on the bottle - and I still think it should be properly labeled.

8. Click Here!

9. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

Fireshrimp are known to eat polyps. Mine never did and was out pretty often.

1 person likes this.
  10. luvreefs23

luvreefs23 Millepora

I tossed all my kent essential elements and coral foods cause of ill effects, fire shrimp are nice additions and arent that bad when it comes to being shy in my experience. Dont reef lobsters eat clams? I seen a reccomondation for one and then pix of clams later in the post.....? Are they clam safe?

1 person likes this.
  11. wildreef

wildreef Stylophora

well thus far I have not seen my red/hairy lobster do any thing ( it's relativly shy ) until lights out.
    I wish it would come out really i want to get a pic of him , has the neatest of color's .

And (imo) those *reef esentials* made by kent are more trouble than they are worth.
    Any *company* can print a pretty lable and sell to the mass'es.
    Funny though how they failed to lable it with "every" thing ?, still go's to show the cunsumer and the hard working reef keeper that marketing is more important to company's than actual claims/labling/results.
    ( some companys i should say )
    it's even done in our salt mixes.(some)

It's like medication for your tank, I think we would be more apt to read up on any thing we use for our tanks if we actually had to test it on our selves first. ( and i have been guilty my self of it when i started out )
    They should be held accountible for labling things correctly and more strict about whats in it and of what percentages.

But any hoooey'.. hope your leather and your tank in general do well and ya get ya some shrimp'ers .

Last edited: May 12, 2008
  12. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

I agree with you. To be honest with you, if you're doing regular water changes, you really shouldn't even need to be supplementing anything like the Essential Elements as all that stuff is in your salt mix. We supplement it from time to time because we do not do water changes :)

Now, as for cheaper fire shrimp, drop JP a line from Just Phish. He might have some in stock and if he does, he's much cheaper than most lfs' and, if I remember correctly, he's local to you and may be able to drop anything you order off at your home :)