shrimp

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by Bogie, May 10, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Bogie

Bogie Snowflake Eel

Anyways, I'm thinking I'll pick up a small emerald mithrax crab tomorrow, if I can find one locally for under $8. I'll wait until the fire shrimp go on sale to buy one. Some of the LFS around here want $55 for a fire shrimp, and that's asking too much.

2. Click Here!

3. wildreef

wildreef Stylophora

OH Bogie..... i just read on whats in that stuff, ( is why i dont use any thing made by kent )
    read >>>>>
    Contents:
    Inorganic mineral salts of aluminum, boron, bromine, calcium, chromium, cobalt, copper, iodine, iron, lithium, magnesium, manganese, molybdenum, nickel, potassium, selenium, sulfur, strontium, tin, vanadium, and zinc in a base containing deionized water and EDTA.

Copper , sulfur, tin ? and how often are you adding to your tank ?

4. Bogie

Bogie Snowflake Eel

kents essential elements has 2.860 mg/oz of iodine, along with Ca, Fe, Mg, Mn...

5. wildreef

wildreef Stylophora

6. Bogie

Bogie Snowflake Eel

No dude COPPER? get real. That's not what's in Kent Marine Essential Elements - according to the bottle in my hand...
    It's: calcium, chloride, chromium chloride, cobalt chloride, ferric chloride, lithium chloride, magnesium chloride, manganese chloride, nickel chloride, potassium chloride, potasium iodide, sodium EDTA, sodium metavanadate, sodium molbdate, sodium selenate, strontium chloride, and zinc chloride.

I have no idea where you think copper, sulfur, and tin got in there...but they shouldn't be...

Last edited: May 10, 2008
  7. Bogie

Bogie Snowflake Eel

Ok, well, that's news.... it's on the website there's copper in it, but not on the bottle itself...that's **** up.l

Last edited by a moderator: May 11, 2008
  8. Click Here!

9. wildreef

wildreef Stylophora

I know you and i have had our "bouts" lol , but brother I'd pitch that crap
    and buy "seprate bottles" stronium/iodine/mag.

as for purple Up.. heck yea i use it ( rarely now as you can see in pics , gettin really purple'ly in there >>>

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: May 11, 2008
  10. Bogie

Bogie Snowflake Eel

don't dose kalk, and I've only used less than 1.5 - 2 oz of the 8 oz bottle over the course of 5 months, so hopefully not the cause of the problem with the leather or future problems. I'm printing out that webpage and returning this bottle to the LFS tomorrow, hopefully for a full refund for false advertising and not saying that it contains copper.
    It actually says "Does not contain detrimental heavy metals, phosphates, nitrates, silicates...." Isn't copper a detrimental heavy metal to reef tanks containing inverts?

11. wildreef

wildreef Stylophora

Copper is a bad thing, of course im sure it can be introduced by fish that have been treated in it from time to time but to be adding it on a regular basis ? ( i know you didint know this up till now )
    but any minute bits that may get in there' will percipitate out but your evidently adding it on a regular basis. ( according to the secret ingredients in this stuff lol )

AND buy some "lugos iodine" do like i suggested to the devils hand, bet it peps up for ya and i'd throw any thing else you have in the garbage.
    If you would like a list of 'premium" elements that i use i'm more than glad to share that info with you

12. Bogie

Bogie Snowflake Eel

No, of course I knew copper is bad for reef tanks, especially with inverts. I just didn't know it was in this bottle, b/c it wasn't on the label - only their website - so don't patronize me here. Thanks for the enlightenment though.
    Still can't believe on the front of the front of the bottle it's label reads "Essential Trace Mineral Supplement for Reef & Fish Only Marine Aquariums". Wouldn't REEF include all types of invertebrate life forms - snails, corals, shrimp, crabs?

Hopefully the amount of copper in it is so little that it is considered negligible. I don't think it has quite as much copper in it as CopperSafe or other copper treatments for fish disease.