shrimp

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by Bogie, May 10, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Bogie

Bogie Snowflake Eel

Yup, I think I got as many fish as I can handle for now. But I want a fire red shrimp for more show and color in the tank, or a mithrax emerald crab to clean up little bits of bubble algae here and there on the liverock. I typically choose function over form, but...maybe both? There is room...

2. Click Here!

3. wildreef

wildreef Stylophora

have had fire shrimp ,and currently have peppermint's (2) kinda helps me keep any
    un-seen aiptasia dispatched.
    but fire shrimp are really cool , I also have a "red reef lobster"( enoplometopus occidentalis ) NOW he's gorgeous. kinda has purple hue's to him , does a real good job of cleaning up on the bottom for uneaten foods, etc.

4. Bogie

Bogie Snowflake Eel

does he clean the carpets in your malibu too?

2 people like this.
  5. wildreef

wildreef Stylophora

Lmao , I wish .
    But i hardly ever get that car dirty, hell i hardly drive it cept on week ends.
    has "orignal milage of 41k on it"

karma to ya bogie , hows the tank coming ?

6. Bogie

Bogie Snowflake Eel

tanks good...very little bit of bubble algea starting to pop up over the last month or so, not a big deal. Everything else is healthy, except the devil's hand leather-most likely done for, TBD. My Malibu comes out maybe 5x a year. Using it for storing boxes, rollerblades, and my old non-energy-efficient incandescent lightbulb stash in my garage for now. Been working mostly on my A4.

7. wildreef

wildreef Stylophora

You know i cant understand "why" that devils hand is not doing so well, or the other leatther.
    Leather's are typicaly easy to keep and maintain .
    I know there alot of people whom say NO on iodine ,But I have added iodine
    to my reef bringing it to .04 ( to keep a safe limit to it )
    And i condone it for leathers, it helps them to darken up( nice deep dark texture to them all ) and my xenia love it as well .
    Oh and it doe's help with molting for shrimp ( they need it )

I don't wish to be mean, but do you keep your tank that clean all the time ?
    ( i seen it in your vid )
    it's almost too clean , as in > leathers are particulate feeders as well <
    I also throw a pinch of cyclo-peeze in bought every week.

8. Click Here!

9. Bogie

Bogie Snowflake Eel

no, it doesn't make sense. except for the first week i got it, i saw a small "lump" moving around just under the surface of the skin of the devil's hand, with coloring a little darker purple than the rest of the skin surface. Then, a month later, closes up, gets yellow and shriveled at the base, with white crusty deposits in spots here and there on it. I brushed off the white crusty deposits under same temp fresh water with a soft toothbrush, and it came back a few days later, only to close up again, shrink and stay that way since...10+ days now. It's in the back of the tank with less flow on it, still gets some light, but not looking any better. Hasn't shrunk into a bitty little ball yet, so I still haven't thrown it out. Once it exhibts sure signs of death, it's outta there, so it doesn't screw up the water parameters. The finger leather and all other corals are thriving so far.

10. wildreef

wildreef Stylophora

A suggestion, take that "devils hand" and put it in say a half gallon bucket
    then add 2/3 drops of iodine (lugos) if you have it, ( salt water ) from tank
    and let it sit in there bought 15/20 mins.
    ( remove devils hand from bucket and put back in tank nearest the light )

11. Bogie

Bogie Snowflake Eel

don't have straight iodine. How would a few cap fulls of purple-up or kents essential elements? they both have iodine in em. would that help?

12. wildreef

wildreef Stylophora

essential elements ,hmmmmmm ?
    Ive never used it i'll read up on it, how much does it have in thwe bottle ?
    whats in this essential elements all together ?