Shrimp/squid/etc . . .

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by adicus, May 7, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. adicus

adicus Aiptasia Anemone

I have seen a number of recommendations to feed certain corals chopped up shrimp/squid/etc . . .

Are we talking supermarket frozen/fresh of these items? If so what would be the cleanup/quarantine preventative measures for them?

2. Click Here!

3. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

4. Kevin3884

Kevin3884 Tassled File Fish

I feed my corals squid from a seafood place...buy em whole take them home chop them into strips..foil wrap, and freeze them.. thaw them out to chop up for corals or to feed the fish... I get my shrimp in a bag in the frozen foods at walmart, just make sure i wash them good...been doing this for about 2 years with great success in both of my tanks...my predator tank has just started getting fresh oysters on a half shell from the seafood market...they LOVE IT.

5. ibefishy

ibefishy Montipora Capricornis

I just pick up a shrimp or two at the seafood counter at my local grocery store. Try to find wild caught if possible. And also you can use non oily fish. Dont use salmon, mackeral. Cod works good as well as squid like kevin3884 said.
    i was told the reason not to use farmed raised is that they are raised in freshwater. I dont know all the info about that but living by the ocean it is pretty easy to get wild caught for me.

6. adicus

adicus Aiptasia Anemone

Thanks

Thanks - Kevin and ibefishy. Easier than I thought it would be.

7. mikev15101

mikev15101 Purple Spiny Lobster

Yea just shrimp squid clams white non oily fish scallops some flake cyclopese mysis into a blender w some water then into zip lock bag on flat surface with or without egg crate it will help make cubes then freeze sorry for run ons I'm on phone at work