Shrimp has black spots???

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by NU-2reef, Feb 24, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. NU-2reef

NU-2reef Montipora Digitata

So i noticed that both of my shrimp have black spots on their exoskeleton but mostly closer to the tail.

My concern is whether this is a problem?

the shrimp are 1 peppermint + 1 cleaner. the peppermint was the first to molt then a week later the cleaner. im wondering whether the spots have to do with the molting. i did check my water params and found all to be well, but noticed my calcium was quite low. could this be a factor?
    i do understand that the calcium is necessary for molting to be successful.

other sites seem to say that they have never heard of this so i hope you guys could help:)
    [​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

Im not sure about the cal, but I know they need iodine to molt. I have never seen the black spots before either. Let us know when you find out. I hope its nothing bad.

1 person likes this.
  4. NU-2reef

i would really like to know what you do with the iodine exactly because i have read about the importance of this in a reef tank but dont know how to use it.

I believe i read somewhere that the calcium helps the development of "bone" structure. Kinda makes sense knowing that calcium makes our bones strong. "Milk does the body good".

5. ziggy222

ziggy222 Fire Goby

its easy to overdose iodine.i'd just do regular water changes

1 person likes this.
  6. MDeth

MDeth Feather Star

^^^ Ditto ziggy.

They definately don't look like eggs...usually more of a green color...and fully loaded.

1 person likes this.
  7. Marty

Marty Stylophora

Can it be parasites? Is there such a thing in SWA?

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

I dose with iodine but its part of a solution that also has trace elements called Reef Solutions.

EcoSystem Reef Solution

*Multi-purpose additive for reef or fish-only marine aquariums*Contains multiple minerals and trace elements found in natural seawater*Convenient solution for vibrant and healthy coral and saltwater fishesAll-natural aquarium additive encourages polyp extensions on corals. Contains minerals, trace elements, and other essential organic nutrients to also restore fish coloration and enhance the marine aquarium environment. For both reef and fish-only marine aquariums. Use Reef Solution daily for optimal results. Use 1 capful for 50 gallons of aquarium water. Also has iodine, strontium, magnesium and mutiple vitamins.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  10. NU-2reef

its been a few days now since the molt and appearance of "black spots"

My cleaner is now completely clean of the spots but my peppermint still has many spots but are slowly going away.

I've done nothing to try to eradicate the spots they just seem to go away.

kinda sucks that there is no explanation but im sure one will pop up one day.

cheers folks and thx for the help

11. dogojoel

dogojoel Plankton

Hello,

New to the board and I was brought here by way of Metacrawler.com. I was searching for an answer to the black spots on my skunk cleaner shrimp. Have found no answer to what they nor what causes them yet. It is nice to read that the spots will fade away.

Chow

12. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

Good for you and your shrimps.;D