Shrimp antenna

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by ermano, Jul 10, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ermano

ermano Zoanthid

My skunk cleaner shrimp molted about a week ago and its antenna were all at normal length and it looked pretty normal, but now it seems like his antenna have shortened. I keep thinking maybe he snapped at them or a hermit crab snapped at them, idk! I was just wondering if anyone out there has ever heard or seen of this!!

Thanks!!!

2. Click Here!

3. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Six line may have nipped it off.

4. baugherb

baugherb Giant Squid

My peppermint has a crooked antennae. It just shoots off to the left, or is it the right? hmmmmm

5. R34dawn

R34dawn Ocellaris Clown

I don't think that the antennas molt with the rest of the skeleton, at least you didn't find yours like I did mine, with half the head missing...lol

6. ermano

ermano Zoanthid

Interseting...haha, i'm sorry!!

Its odd though, I've never seen it like this, and it is possible that the wrasse may be nipping at it...I've seen the two of them quarrel sometimes...rarely though..

thanks!!

7. fishpoop

fishpoop Feather Duster

mine sheds the whiskers too

8. Click Here!

9. Ryan

Ryan Spaghetti Worm

I noticed that the antennas on my peppermint did the same thing once. He molted, antennas looked fine, then I noticed a few days latter that they were short and stubby. They were normal length again after the next time he molted.

Also,
    My cleaner shrimp molted last night. I am looking at his molt now, and the antennas molted as well.

Im not an expert, or marine biologist but from what I have noticed is shrimp have the ability to regenerate limbs and body parts. My cleaner was missing one pincher/claw when I got him, now (after 2 molts) he has 2, one is slightly smaller then the other, but got bigger after each molt. I would assume it is the same with antennas.

10. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

I would not worry too much. I remember when I had a few cleaner shrimp. After that had molted they either lost their antenae due to molting issue or fish friends.

However there is nothing to fear as they will return, with any lost legs as well during the next molt. :)

I am actually not sure how the mechanics of growing a new leg during molting works...but it should be interesting.

EDIT: Just looked up mechanics ha.... So it seems as though depending on how severe the loss is, it can take from 1 to several molts to fully regraw said appendage.

11. fishpoop

fishpoop Feather Duster

my skunk shrimp molted and the whiskers molted too, however they were there when i seen him only 5 minutes after seeing the empty shell he left behind