Show piece coral opinions from the pros

Discussion in 'SPS Corals' started by scenario1313, Jan 26, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. scenario1313

scenario1313 Tassled File Fish

I have dedicated a spot in the center on top of a ledge for a show piece coral and was wondering what you guys think is a great show piece coral. I have the TEK T5 8 x 54w fixture with the uvl bulbs. Any opinions.

2. Click Here!

3. LCP136

LCP136 Sailfin Tang

I think a nice Montipora would go well there. A big green one right in the middle would look stunning.

4. mile high reefer

mile high reefer Fire Shrimp

ascan lord coral. Blue and red.

5. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

well, how much do you want to spend? I really like the Acan idea. I also really like a superman or sunset monti, expensive, but beautiful. What about a really nice chalice? watermelon? pink lemonde? Just some ideas.

6. scenario1313

Keep em coming. This is a show piece coral so i want to get a large one and I am willing to fork over some dough. After all I have spent on this 120 gallon set up I want a nice piece to set it off.

7. scenario1313

That sunset monti look really nice

8. Click Here!

9. bmshehan

bmshehan Fu Manchu Lion Fish

I was thinking a nice SPS of your choice if your lighting would be enough. I really haven't researched this since I have MH and don't really have to worry about it. FYI I'm not sure it is the same with everyone but my favorite corals to talk about with people are the ones I got from tiny frags that have grown out or the ones currently worth a lot (my25+ head acan or 7 head frogspawn). It is really your choice but I say:

1. A nice SPS
    2. Acan (buy one with 1 or 2 heads then you can brag about it's growth also!)
    3. Frogspawn (visitors seem to love this thing in my house)

10. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

The only problem with that, is that you will have to buy a frag, I've never seen it for sale in any large size. It will grow fairly fast though and encrust over the rock, the coloring is amazing.
    Have you thought about a large clam, such as a dersa? Even a really nice crocea or maxima will look really good.

11. bmshehan

bmshehan Fu Manchu Lion Fish

Great idea on the clam if he has enough light. I love clams and you can get some beautiful ones!

12. scenario1313

The frogspawns of two types are already in the works but I don't consider those a showpiece even though they are one of my favs. I have a green tip FS and a purple tip on the way.