Shoulder Tang with mystery body illness! Pic Heavy, need opinions %& help

Discussion in 'Fish Diseases' started by PULP18, Apr 18, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. PULP18

PULP18 Plankton

Hi guys,

This maybe my first or second post and need your advice to diagnose and suggest any treatments. I have a naso tang and maroon clown in qt right now treating for ich for another 3 days.

What does my shoulder tang have? black ich? head and lateral disease? Most of it is on the left side as a big patch. he also has it right above the eyes on the forehead.. any ideas? I am new to the hobby and have had a few fish die.

Tank is 125 gal w/ 70lbs of live rock, all parameters are great, i feed fish every other day, switching between Spectrum Thera +A Reg formula, Misis and Misis thats green mixed with a ton of things. I have two niger trigger, sailfin tang, and a small snowflake eel.

Thank you for any help, hopefully this post will break me into the 3reef forum and start posting more!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 25, 2012
  2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Welcome to 3reef.

Sorry I can not be of more assist. Black ich is not isolated to one spot or large spot like that. It is many tiny black dots (which is actually blood) spread on the entire main body of the fish. I have never seen it isolated to one specific area like that.

I know the fish swims very fast but hard to get a good look at what is going on in those images.

Above eye and forehead makes me think LLD but I can only make out a black spot near the tail of the fish.

What are you using to treat the ich with?
    What are you feeding?

4. Kevin3884

Kevin3884 Tassled File Fish

Looks like it could be a healing trauma area...notice any fighting? u have a fairly heavily stocked tank...

5. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

i vote HLLE too. Ive found treating by selcon soaked food to turn the erosion around ver rapidly.

6. PULP18

PULP18 Plankton

Corailline

Thanks,

yea he is super quick! The a isolated spots, obv where you can see on the side and right in the middle of his forehead.

I have a 15gal qt that I treated with Cupramine, - Should I be feeding something more specific? The spectra has garlic in it..

i feed fish every other day, switching between Spectrum Thera +A Reg formula, Misis and Misis thats green mixed with a ton of things

7. PULP18

PULP18 Plankton

HI Kevin,

I been observing them a long time and dont see any aggression. Surprising the triggers are friendly as well. I keep the eel well fed. I dont know if it matter but the salinity is at 1.021 and the temp is 77 deg.

ingtar, thanks for your input..

I can't let these guy suffer and die, i will see if i can get better pics

here is a pic of my tank
    [​IMG]

8. Click Here!

9. PULP18

PULP18 Plankton

I snapped a better pic and zoomed in on it... let me know if it helps..

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Feedings for tangs should include a lot of marine algae, you should add supplements with HUFA, personally I like Selcon, include garlic as well.

11. PULP18

PULP18 Plankton

Awesome! I will go pick some selcon up tomorrow!

12. PULP18

PULP18 Plankton

Shoulder Tang with Mystery Illness? Opinions/help?

ok guys, went to a lfs and they told me my shoulder tang had some bacterial infection. he suggested i qt and use Furan I believe...I could not qt because I was at the end of qting for ick. anyways qt is empty now and I can try to quarantine my shoulder tang. I pulled him out of the tank and snapped some new pics... please help me diagnose (i should also state that I did not have my tank grounded. I set up a titanium probe and now its grounded!)

this is how it started:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and after a week...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]