Should i try an emerald crab!?

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by Puffer Chick, Nov 12, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

ok that's good to hear. I just wish there was something else that would eat this algae, since it sound like you guys haven't had any real issues i might just give it ago. I will just really hate myself if it does end up taking out any of my inverts and fish, but it seems like you guy's havent had any issues with them, which is a relief

2. Click Here!

3. CoralCrazy

CoralCrazy Spaghetti Worm

No problems at all with my emerald crab and I have never seen him go after the clownfish. He usually hangs out underneath my rock, except when its feeding time he will come out checking the sand for leftovers. They are excellent at cleaning things, he has really cleaned up my rock after the cycling was done, I have no regrets what so ever and is actually one of my favorite things to watch.

4. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

ok i think i'll try one, hopefully i'll be able to head to the lfs sometime this weekend.

Any idea if the eat GHA?

5. CoralCrazy

If its smaller GHA then snails and hermits usually do a good job with it, but if its getting big you may need to work at it manually to give your workers a chance.

6. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

ok i haven't had my CUC for very long, they mainly clean the glass, but i just cleaned it myself so hopefully that will force them onto the rocks. the GHA is fairly short just spreads so hopefully they'll get to work on it soon

7. CoralCrazy

Here is a nice little read that may help you out.

Green Hair Algae can be conquered!

8. Click Here!

9. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

10. CoralCrazy

Anytime, glad to help ;D

11. mikejrice

mikejrice 3reef Affiliate

Sounds like a plus to me. Keep that stuff under control a little bit.

12. vphan119

vphan119 Plankton

when i had an outbreak of green hair algae, i picked up 2 of these guys and was excited to see what they can do. turns out they barely cleaned up any of it from what i saw. i ended up getting a sea hare which worked like a freakin lawn mower! my tank was clean within a week or so like it was a brand new tank!! i didnt mind having the crab in there since he did add character until i noticed my green star polyps looked to be torn. i was also missing chunks of coraline on the rocks. at first i thought it was maybe one of the fishes that was eating the gsp but i saw the emerald crab picking and eating my gspand coraline right in front of my face!!! long story short, they arent worth it to me since i didnt see any improvement or benefits from having them in my tank and ended up eating good stuff and not the bad. he is now in my sump tank as punishment until i take him back to the fish store to trade. thats my .02 if you do decide to get them, i would advise to watch them carefully