Should I purchase a tank with lots of aiptasia

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by leigh, Nov 22, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. mm2002

mm2002 Feather Duster

+1 for the peppermint shrimp if you decide to buy the tank. It may take a while, but they would eventually eradicate it, and keep it under control. That may be an option to save all the live rock without nuking it.

2. Click Here!

3. dowtish

dowtish Horrid Stonefish

Even if you took out the rocks that you see it on, doesnt mean there a ton of them waiting to pop up on the other rocks as well. If you do decide to get it, I would pull all the rock and sand start from scratch. If you go the easy, quick route you will be kicking yourself forever dealing with those things.

4. leigh

leigh Flamingo Tongue

Are they expensive? Haven't seen them at the Lfs before, What I'm wondering is if I took all the aiotasia off the rocks and a people say they will grow back but if I buy a bunch of peppermint shrimp and berghia's Will they stop the reproduction and keep them under control?

Last edited: Nov 23, 2011
  5. mm2002

mm2002 Feather Duster

I'd at least try it. It's not like it's going to kill the shrimp or nudis. Aiptasia are kind of like algae, once you get them under control, let nature (CUC) take care of them. The nudibranchs are around 15 bucks, but you can buy peppermint shrimp cheap. Pull all the nems you can, then add a dozen peppermints and see what happens.

6. initial_reefer

initial_reefer Bristle Worm

yeah i wouldnt use that rock

7. leigh

leigh Flamingo Tongue

but you would get the tank, just toss or boil the rock??

8. Click Here!

9. initial_reefer

initial_reefer Bristle Worm

Being I just sold aiptasia infested rock you can kill it but it will return no matter what. Your going to have to buy stock in aiptasia-X and if you want to go the pepermint route your gonna have to starve them into eating aiptasia. If you do buy it take the rock put it in a rubbermaid tub full of saltwater and a heater with a pump or powerhead for 3-4 weeks with a lid. Second option is let it dry out then use bio active to make it alive again.

Good luck

10. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

Even killing it, all, they would probably come back and they are storing a lot of organics. The decaying aptaisia, would likely feed cyano and other nuisance algae for a long time to come. Also, there must have been ongoing nutrient issues to begin with to support that many aptaisia. If you were going to do it, I would bleach the rocks to get rid of the organics and then give them a bath in muriatic to get rid of bound phosphate. If you go this route though, look up the procedure online or let me know and I can give you detailed instructions. Muriatic acid is a bit dangerous, but will work.

11. aquariaman

aquariaman Pajama Cardinal

I would take the rock. Put it out side for a few days and let the rock get all dried out and then rinse them in some water and stick them back into your tank. Worked for me! I haven't seen a single aptasia for months!

12. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

+1 - 110%

Not ridding the rock of organics will plague you til the world ends. Made the same mistake myself (accepted used rock, only scrubbed, dried and rinsed it) with my very first reef... after 3 years of fighting nuisance algae, I finally sold my corals, tore the tank apart and rebuilt it the right way.