Should I purchase a tank with lots of aiptasia

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by leigh, Nov 22, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. leigh

leigh Flamingo Tongue

So basicly their is a 75 gallon tank and it appears to have a ton of aiptasia but i want to get the tank. is it really worth the effort or will it be extremely hard to get rid of it all? i was thinking maybe just leave the rocks that are covered outside ?? please help If i am purchasing it will be this weekend.
    [​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. leigh

leigh Flamingo Tongue

and in this pic you can even see a ton of them.
    [​IMG]

4. clarky2120

clarky2120 Bubble Tip Anemone

I have less than that in my tank and Im thinking of shutting the whole tank down because of it. It's so annoyingly difficult to get rid of. I would not let the guy pay me to take that rock.

5. brunoboarder244

brunoboarder244 Torch Coral

if you decide on taking the tank i recommend either tossing the rock or boil them to kill everything and restart from there....do you have a tank to keep your other inhabitants in while it cycles?

6. exactlyobp

exactlyobp Giant Squid

ZOMG! The pic gave me goosebumps!! No wonder the seller wants to get rid of it! The reason why they are considered pests, is they are really resilient. Even if you dont see them on a rock, there is an offspring or two (or 100).
    I assume you want to buy the whole set up? If I have to, if I really have to, Id get it really cheap. If not, walk away. I see you live in a big city, you will find something better. How much is he asking anyway?

7. exactlyobp

exactlyobp Giant Squid

I was gonna ask you this too.. Its not impossible to keep fish without rocks for a while, but lots of patience needed.

8. Click Here!

9. leigh

leigh Flamingo Tongue

was asking 650 lol cause it comes with sump and all that jazz lmao
    got him down to 450 seem like to much still?

10. brunoboarder244

brunoboarder244 Torch Coral

maybe try new sand and fry the rocks and add them back in a little at a time...if you add to much base rock(the rock you have fried since its no longer living) at once you'll cause another cycle but if i were you i would maybe QT fish in seperate tank(if you have) fry the rock, add everything back in and let cycle with maybe a bio booster to help get it started back up faster

11. Mobalized

Mobalized Teardrop Maxima Clam

better be some good quality stuff with it lol

12. leigh

leigh Flamingo Tongue

Would it be worth it to just toss the rock that has the stuff or just leave it outside for the winter? lol
    would it spread like that in the tank even if i took the rocks infected out?
    cause i feel like getting the tank and if i can just take out the 20 or so lbs that have tons i would still want to buy the tank idk tho lol
    EDIT
    I wouldnt have another tank to QT the fish in, but wouldnt it be okay to just put them in, i have rock from my nano i could throw in? please help

Last edited: Nov 22, 2011