Should I or can I feed a brain coral?

Discussion in 'LPS Corals' started by QTYPIE424, Nov 29, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. QTYPIE424

QTYPIE424 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I was told I didnt have to feed my brain coral, is this true? Seems like I read somewhere that I can, but Im not sure. What do ya think?

[​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

I think yes! :) Small pieces of meaty foods given when the feeding tenticles are out is the ideal way to feed this coral.

4. QTYPIE424

Well I am not quite sure what or where the tentacles would be on this as it has not changed since I added it to the tank. All I have noticed is that its mouth was starting to open yesterday and I tried to feed it some mysis shrimp which was not successful. I really dont care for mysis shrimp anyway due to most of it floating around in the tank. Unfortunately I have quite a bit of it left in the freezer. So what other types of meaty foods should I try? Should I like try to lay some tiny pieces of krill over the mouth and see what happens?

5. Diver_1298

Diver_1298 Eyelash Blennie

Nice looking coral :)
    I concur that feeding this coral small meaty portions is a good idea...

Jim

6. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

7. QTYPIE424

Wow that is an awesome pic. Mine has never looked like that yet but I have only had it for 3 days now. I did use a turkey baster but it might work better if the tentacles were out i guess. Will keeping tryin!

8. Click Here!

9. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

The best time for the tentacles/sweeper tentacles to be viewed is at night after the lights are off. They don't require feeding of larger food stuff(Mysis etc. though they will accept it) as they will take small food stuff such as Rotifers, Cyclops, Marine Snow,(phyto and Zoo)plankton as well.

10. QTYPIE424

I heard of this stuff called marineland or something that someone mentioned in a post and he said his corals began flourishing. Do you know of it?

11. mushroom_man

mushroom_man Bubble Tip Anemone

miami,right near da beach BOYE!, FL,Florida
    yes its a food for small angels. but it works better on rico's and shrooms. try some cyclops. i have talked to alot of people about what they feed, and that seems to be one of the best. i heard that marine snow is an awesome product as well.

on another note, i found that open brains will take small pieces of squid (tiny chopped pieces) and shrimp.

hope it helps.

12. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

No need to make things more complicated than they need to be :) Just feed the coral once or twice a week with the food that you already own (mysis shrimp, flakes). If you start feeding too many different kinds of foods, you'll just end up polluting your water.