Should I have seen a spike? Cycling tank

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by texanjordan, Jun 25, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. texanjordan

texanjordan Peppermint Shrimp

I set up my 90 gallon 6 weeks ago. When I set up, I added 2 bottles of bio spira, and about a week later I added 3 chromis. I have been doing water tests every 3-5 days with my API test kit, and I have taken water into my LFS to verify my readings. I am zero across the board. I have not yet seen a algae bloom, but I do see some stringy looking white stuff on the rocks, they basically look fuzzy. I am running carbon, a bio pellet reactor, and that's it, and I have been feeding pretty heavy, again no algae bloom yet. I have some pretty small zoa frags that I have in my tank right now and other than the chromis, that is all I have in there. Should I have seen an ammonia spike, or would the bio spira have prevented that from happening? It is strange to me that I dont even see any nitrates or phosphates or nitrates. Thanks for the responses.

2. Click Here!

3. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

Bio pellets remove Phosphate and Nitrate.;)
    It is possible your test kit just didn't detec t the ammonia.Bio Spira is just for the purpose of seeding bacteria to speed up the process.

4. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Did you use dry rock or cured live rock?

If you have been feeding fish, the fish are fine, you have double checked your values against another kit, well then just keep testing and proceed slowly. I suspect you're probably in the clear as far as the initial cycle goes.

Alfie uk likes this.
  5. texanjordan

I used all base rock, Live sand in the bag, and I put in two small pieces of live rock. As far as the fish are, one disappeared, but that is normal as far as chromis go, you look at them funny and they die of a heart attack.

6. texanjordan

So by using bio pellets from the beggining, it might be removing all of the nitrates and phosphates before they are even an issue. Still, I want to eventually put macro in my refugium...

7. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

Steve Wright did this and was successfull at keeping algaes at bay.Just be sure to run the effluent as close to the skimmer intake as possible.