Should i get a Saddleback Butterfly fish??

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish' started by HayNZ, Jan 28, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. HayNZ

HayNZ Astrea Snail

Hi all, some advice please. I am reasonably new to this hobby though I have an established tank (about 2 and a half years old) as I purchased a tank plus inhabitants from a man who was moving overseas.

I currently have:

1 sixline wrasse
    1 coral beauty angel
    2 clowns
    2 blue damsels
    1 yellow tang
    1 purple lobster

What are your expert opinions on adding a saddleback butterfly to this mix?

2. Click Here!

3. PghSteeler

PghSteeler Tassled File Fish

What size tank do you have? Also which species are you exactly referring too? Do you have corals?

As long as your tank size is good and your nutrient levels are in acceptable limits, adding a butterfly to that mix should not be a problem.

If you are referring to Chaetodon ephippium, I do not have any experience with this guy to offer.

If you are referring to Chaetodon ulietensis, than these guys are hardy, take pretty well to aquarium life and captive diets, devour aiptasia and other pest inclusing mojano, and USUALLY leave most corals alone but as with angels are still a small risk with certain types of corals. More than likely if you have sps theyll be fine but some of the larger fleshy corals and desirable anemones such as bubbletip, long tentancle, etc will be the most likely to be pestered. There was a good read on advancedaquarist awhile ago on these guys and keeping in a large reef tank.

The double saddle is sometimes called the false falcula butterfly and is confused with Chaetodon falcula which is very clsoe in appearance. I dont kno much about those guys but believe they are less reef safe than the true double saddle.

4. HayNZ

HayNZ Astrea Snail

Thank you so much for your response. This is a picture of him so I believe he is a Chaetodon ulietensis?

I have a 250L tank and yes I have corals (a very large toadstool, frogspawn, mushrooms, a couple of brains). My levels are constantly good so far and I am definitely getting more and more confident with my tank.

Attached Files:

• 111.jpg
      111.jpg
      File size:
      63 KB
      Views:
  5. PghSteeler

PghSteeler Tassled File Fish

Yea looks like a double saddle to me. Toadstool will be fine. Mushrooms are actually moee clsoely related to anemones than corals I believe (not sure where I jsut pulled that tidbit from so dont quote me on it), and are probably the riskiest coral of the ones you mentioned.
    Do you mean 250L or 250gal? If l thats only around 66 gallons which might be a tad small for him and a large biolaod with 7 other decent sized fish.

Corailline likes this.