Should I frag this

Discussion in 'Frags' started by ibefishy, Oct 30, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ibefishy

ibefishy Montipora Capricornis

This was one of the first corals I bought over a year and a half ago. It started out as 2 heads and now this is how big it is. I dont know how big to let it get. It is about the size of a fooltball. It is starting to get real close to my monti and in a few weeks they will be touching. Should I frag it? If so how would I do it? I have never fragged one of these. Is it possible to frag in the tank, or should it be removed? I may also remove the part that is growing from 5 different heads that never seperated. I dont see any skeletal structure it is all covered with the soft flesh, how can I cut that without harming it?

Thanks

Nate

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. oceanparadise1

oceanparadise1 Fire Squid

wait to do it in the AM before the lights come out it is a candy coral, you can use a dremel, thats what i use

4. ibefishy

Thanks, what dremel cutting tool do you use to cut it? Part of the problem is I dont know if I can take this out of the tank. When I moved a few months back I had to move it attached to the rock. There in lies the other problem in that my monti is attached to the same rock plus two others.

5. oceanparadise1

u should be able to pull it off, i use the diamond ended bits, works awsome!

6. ibefishy

Thanks ocean paradise, is there any way you could give me a part number on the ones you use or a photo?

7. oceanparadise1

i get mine from harbor freight, if you go to there site and type in dremel, it will come up with the 25 dollar dremel i use and the 20 dollar kit i use :) your welcome

8. Click Here!

9. mattheuw1

mattheuw1 Montipora Capricornis

you should just be able to snap a branch off with a pair of wire cutters. Cut the branch obviously...not the flesh.

10. ibefishy

Thanks again. I broke part of my monti so I could look at the back of the rock and that coral has grown onto the rock. What now?

11. ibefishy

The flesh grows all the way down to the rock and has started growning over the rock. There are no branches with out flesh.

12. mattheuw1

mattheuw1 Montipora Capricornis

well you can sacrifice some heads....or cut off what you can. Your choice....strange because I have never seen candy canes grow to rock. Must be an old reef if that's happening.