Should I do a water change

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by ZC42, Dec 31, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

Just curious as to why you say this? Why not get the dead stuff out so that the tank can actually cycle the right way?

2. Click Here!

3. ZC42

ZC42 Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

Its an api saltwater master test kit and yes the rock was out for some time bc i couldnt put it in right away but most of the dead stuff was from the sand. The lfs was getting rid of it because it was a large, out of the way tank that nobody could see.

4. ZC42

oh and will post pics tomorrow because its quite late here

5. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

In time you will be fine. By getting out what you can, you will speed up the cycle process and lessen the extent to which problem algae occurs. But given time it will level out no matter what you decide to do.

6. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

Because if he had living stuff in there, i'd say heck yeah to a huge water change to keep them alive, if he cycled with a dead shrimp, i wouldnt be as concerned!

7. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

The sand was out of their tank as well? I didn't catch this. I would get rid of that and add new. It is hard saying what was trapped in that sand and what was released into your system once it was disturbed. It could take awhile for everything to settle back down. If you can I would take that sand out, and add new sand. That is just me though.

8. Click Here!

9. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

Same here.... I wasn't even willing to reuse my own sand bed... well not more than a cup to seed my new bed.

Whats the plan for the tank though... If this is for a fish or even a softy tank, I wouldn't be overly worried. If you are planning on spending significant money on coral though... Don't risk it.

10. ZC42

Maybe. But I can definitely get all the stuff off the bottom and do a large water change.

11. ZC42

Fish only/ soft at the most

12. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

That should be all you need. That and like Cosmo said.. patience. Some cycles take upwards of 2months!