Should I do a water change

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by ZC42, Dec 31, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ZC42

ZC42 Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

Hey guys, cycling my first sw and the nitrates won't seem to go away! Using 100% live rock and sand from a mature lfs aquarium they were getting rid of. Been cycling for about 2 weeks now and my levels are
    pH- 8.0
    Ammonia- .25
    Nitrites-0
    Nitrates-80
    So after a few days of these results I added a dose of prime to the water and was wondering if I should do a water change to get rid of the nitrates. Am. Cycled yet?

Thanks!

2. Click Here!

3. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

patience!! how long have u had it set up?

4. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

I would do a large water change.... Strange the tank got that high on nitrate. Did you use a dead fish or shrimp or something to kick start the cycle?...

Or maybe live rock with a lot of sponges and stuff to die off?

Anyhow, the water change will likely bring the levels back down so that the remaining ammonia will drop off and probably never show again. Watch it for 5 more days after the WC and see what happens.

5. ZC42

@cosmo- 2 weeks
    @Thatgrimguy- There's a ton of dead stuff from the LR and LS

6. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

-
    Try to pull as much of that crap off as possible. When doing the water change try to syphon it out. If it's dead plant matter and you can get rid of it, do it. That will greatly speed up the process.-
    I had to go as far as scrubbing some rocks I bought for my 150g fowlr. Literally like you scrub a pot after cooking macaroni and cheese!!

7. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

do you have anything living in ther? fish? inverts! If not, let it be for a bit! it takes about 4 weeks min for a tank to calm down minimum! Patience is the key in this game!

8. Click Here!

9. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

Nitrates that high can also inhibit the proper bacteria growth. Dr. Tim has a great video about it on his webpage. A water change in this scenario should only help.

10. ZC42

Thanks! There's a ton of stuff in there. Snail shells, fragments of stuff...I guess I just thought it would decompose and help the cycle...And the only living things in there are tiny worms (not bristle!)

11. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

My 1st question is how reliable is your test kit. You could be getting a false reading on your nitrates and all of them actually. Have you had your water tested by somebody else. If your nitrates are really that high, then do a water change ASAP. That is way to high. Also, like stated above, get all that dead stuff out of there. That will be key here. If you don't, you will continue to re-cycle your tank as the dead stuff continues to break down.

You said that you are using 100% live rock and sand from a mature lfs aquarium they were getting rid of. Why is there so much dead stuff on it? Was it sitting dry? Why were they getting rid of it?

Pics could help as well.

12. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

i'm sure it won't hurt, but my tank did that, and then after a few days balanced out and dropped! i guess why not, nut its still gonna take some more time!