Should I be worried??

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by Ryland, Feb 15, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Ryland

Ryland Stylophora

Okay so I bought a Majestic on Saturday and put him in my 125. Hes been doing fine as far as I could tell. Params are all in check. Very very shy fish but I occasionaly would catch him out and about. On Sunday he was eating mysis shrimp and flake. Monday he ate mysis in the afternoon and flake in the evening. He would come out to eat everytime I put food in the tank. Today however, when I fed him he never even budged from his hiding spot. He is just hangin in there and didnt even acknowledge the food. I have not seen him 1 time out of his hole today and he has some stringy poo hanging. Maybe I am just being a little too nervous I dont know. Any ideas? Thanks :confused:

2. Click Here!

3. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

Get some Prazi-pro. In a couple of days he should feel better and eat.

EDIT: This is why I made this recommendation.

4. Ryland

Ryland Stylophora

Would this be why he is suddenly hiding and not eating?

5. Ryland

Ryland Stylophora

Is there another reason he be acting this way today? Ive never seen the stringy feces before today.

6. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

When you are sick, do you want to eat?

He's always been hiding. He's a adjusting to his new diet and this might be nothing more than indigestion. On the other hand, it could be something that you need praziquantel for. It's not expensive....treat the fish. If it's just indigestion, then the prazi won't hurt it. If you wait too long and it needs prazi, then you just lost a very expensive fish. I like to play the odds and I almost always win.

7. Ryland

Ryland Stylophora

Will be treating him today with prazipro. I saw some of the feces after it broke away from him and was floating around. White and stringy. Nasty looking. I will treat him today and hopefully will get him eating again soon. Reactors, carbon, and skimmer all got to be turned off right?

8. Click Here!

9. SkyFire

SkyFire Clown Trigger

Just curious, do you treat the whole tank and if so will corals be ok?

10. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

Yes.

If you have saltwater mixed up, treat him in a rubbermaid tub, other container, etc so you don't have good worms in your tank dieing causing an Ammonia spike. The best way to do this is to fill the container with tank water, then re-fill the display tank with new saltwater. (I.e. a partial waterchange). If that's not possible, one can hold off said spike with Prime or other quality Ammonia stabilizers.

11. Ryland

Ryland Stylophora

I understand that I do not want to kill the good worms in my system. However, I have reservations about taking a already stressed fish out of the tank and placing it in a small container and then treating with a medication that is reef safe. I will treat him but I will treat him in the dt. Taking him out will cause a large amount of stress.

12. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

It won't harm corals. However, if you have a bunch of flatworms that you didn't know about and nuke them all at once, their toxins can definitely kill not only corals but fish too. It's been my experience that most people have a couple of flatworms they didn't know about. This is not a problem. However, if you see flatworms on your rock, glass, corals, or sand and use this product in your display tank, consider it gone.