should have quarintined.... what kind of disease is this?

Discussion in 'Fish Diseases' started by Gexx, Jul 28, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Gexx

Gexx Giant Squid

well i got an angel fish that got sick and died in the tank. i got it out shortly after but then my goose head scorpionfish started to get cloudy eyes. i havent tried to feed today.

sypmtoms are:

cloudy eyes
    mouth slightly open
    semi heavy breathing

i can start a QT tank tomorrow but have no idea how to go about choosing a good medication or how to treat. ive never had a sick fish that didnt get better in a few days. i really dont want to lose this guy. he is so cool and personable. please help me guys and gals!

2. Click Here!

3. tgood

tgood Sea Dragon

could just be lack of oxygen? Do you run any air pump/stones?

1 person likes this.
  4. Reeron

Reeron Blue Ringed Angel

What are your parameters? Might be something like a spike in Ammonia that needs to be taken care of and is weakening the immune system, leading to other issues like the cloudy eyes because of an infection.

5. Renee@LionfishLair

Renee@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

What were the symptoms of the angel?

Flukes get past on rather quickly. Can you give me a timeline of events since introducing the angel?

I like to put my fish in hypo when they having gilling issues. They breath much easier in lower salinity. It gives me a little time to figure things out. I also like to drop the temp to low 70s. It can held pause bacterial growth (if that is the problem) and the water has a higher O2 concentration. Drop an extra airline even if there is adequate aeration. You can never have too much oxygen when there is a gilling issue, IMO.

Dood.... we gotta fix this. They are great little fish.

1 person likes this.
  6. Telgar

Telgar Snowflake Eel

Check your parameters and be prepared to do a waterchange if they are too far out of place.

1 person likes this.
  7. Gexx

Gexx Giant Squid

i too thought that it may be low o2 and since one of the power heads cut off i thought it would be an easy fix. it just got worse. i only have a hydrometer and its reading 1.032 which i know is too high. how slow should i reduce it? i think it is flukes. heres a timeline

2 weeks ago- got the angel fish
    last week- angelfish had white blochy spots on it.
    late last week- scorpionfish starts having cloudy eyes
    yesterday- angelfish dies in the 55, scorpionfish has signs of trouble breathing
    today- scorpionfish has very cloudy eyes with white worm looking things on them, trouble breathing gets worse.

i am lowering the temp. how fast should i lower the salinity.

8. Click Here!

9. Renee@LionfishLair

Renee@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

And get started on making some water for a hospital tank. You don't want to be rushing at the last minute if he has to come out.

10. Gexx

Gexx Giant Squid

ima do a 5 gallon water change right now. should i set up a QT tank now or not?

11. seabass1

seabass1 Montipora Digitata

12. Gexx

Gexx Giant Squid

my ammonia is skyrocketing! prob from the angelfish dying. i put carbon in and some ammo pure filttration. now im gonna do a 5 gallon watercange to see if that helps. im also gonna lowerthe salinity an get more salt mix tomorrow to do some more waterchanges. ugh, why me?