Shopping for new lights

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by reefnJeff, Mar 6, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. reefnJeff

reefnJeff Pajama Cardinal

So whats the difference between a 90 degree optic light and a 120 degree? I know $20 in the price that's all lol.

2. Click Here!

3. reefnJeff

Never mind I think I just figured it out. :D

4. reefnJeff

So I found these lights, they originally sale for $634, but can get these for $200.
    Coralife Aqualight Pro Metal Halide Aquarium Light Fixture, 2X150 watt, HQI & 2X96 watt, Compact Fluorescents, 48 inch, I guess there 3 years old, so would this be a good deal?

5. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

Just added a 250 watt halide in place of my led. In 2 days, I already have a staghorn encrusting, 3 new mushrooms and a new mouth on my favia. I've had more growth in 2 days with halide than I did in 10 months with led.

Put actinic bulbs in for the PC and get new halide bulbs, assuming those are old, and you have yourself a good deal. Jmo

However keep looking. I would try and avoid PC, if you could.

6. diverdan

diverdan Bangghai Cardinal

I too just made the switch to mh. I was only running t5s and I got a great deal on a t5 mh fixture and the difference in growth is amazing. The below is just 10 days of growth on my birds nest
    View attachment 57742
    View attachment 57743
    So with that being said I am a firm believer in the metal halide fixtures.
    I too would hold off on the compact fluorescent bulbs.
    Also jmo.

7. reefnJeff

Really?? I was close to getting those led value lights, but despite the heat put off, wanted to stick with whats worked for me thus far.

The dude said he replaced all bulbs back around Dec, but don't know yet what he replaced them with.

8. Click Here!

9. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

After second look, I am not sure the favia has another mouth, but it somewhat looks like one is on the way. However, the 3 mushrooms speak for itself. My staghorn has been in for a month and it is just now growing down onto the glue.

10. reefnJeff

I decided to save myself some cash. I took apart my current lighting and found the bad ballast. It's a plug N play ballast, hahaha!! easy cure! I ordered to new ballast last night. With the money I saved from buying new, I can buy all new lights for my system. Good deal

11. diverdan

diverdan Bangghai Cardinal

Congrats. Always nice to buy yourself something nice.

12. reefnJeff

Will actually I just got my new ballast and what a big difference it made again having those 2 T5's back on my tank. Since I saved so much over buying new lights I did treat myself to new Corals, should be here in a few hours.