Shocks! (PG 4 What was really happening!)

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by kcbrad, Feb 21, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

Smart move! Stray voltage is one thing, but grounding a dead short can be disastrous.

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

Just want to update this and let you all know what happened! It's a little strange.

Turns out half the light fixture wasn't working because one of the bulbs was blowing. It was brand new, so that's annoying. But we replaced it and the fixture works fine now.

So WHAT was shocking us?! Our protein skimmer!!! We messed around unplugging things, plugging things back in, testing many, many times. When we unplugged the skimmer the reading in the tank went down to 0-0.02 volts. Plugged the skimmer in and the reading would jump up to 1-3.5 vs!

Last night I went to the place I bought the skimmer and he said I was the second customer to have this happen in recent weeks! I bought the skimmer back in December. He said he's sold those skimmers for years and years and never had an issue. So something in the last batch was off. He gave me a replacement motor and so far so good!

The current was traveling into the water, then up the metal legs of my light fixture and when we touched the light we were grounding it.

Anyways, mystery solved. Very weird. But I'm so glad it was not my fixture!!! And I'll be buying a ground probe ASAP.

4. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Glad you were able to get it fixed. Kudos to your LFS on taking care of you.

5. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

I was really expecting him to look at me like I was crazy! I wasn't expecting confirmation that it was really happening to other people and a new motor!

6. lillys Grandad

lillys Grandad Horrid Stonefish

I would guess that you should see an improvement of overall DT health and well being....got a ground probe yet? LOL : )
    Glad its identified...

7. Bustopher

Bustopher Skunk Shrimp

Congrats on the diagnosis. My housemates light has been shocking me recently. I thought it was the light too but the hydors shorted and melted. Looks like I will be following you cue and individually testing each item.

Thanks for your writeup on how you solved the problem. Even though you made a lot more work for me lol...

8. Click Here!

9. whippy

whippy Sailfin Tang

Bah, no worries. Voltage may hurt but its the amps that really kill the party! (yes I'm being a dork)

10. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

Yes, get checking! It's important for human and livestock safety!