shipping xeina

Discussion in 'Frags' started by homegrowncorals, Jul 30, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. homegrowncorals

homegrowncorals Ribbon Eel

well im gona try to ship some pulsing xenia , in fact the first time of trying to ship any corals , kind of have a general idea being i have gotten most of my corals this way.
    glad i saved some of those insulated shipping boxes.
    any input on this being i herd that xeina dont ship well.

2. Click Here!

3. Iraf

Iraf Snowflake Eel

bag full of water, triple bag it and get in a insulated box and ship overnight

don't know if that helped any but just what I've done and I've always been lucky

4. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Before you bag it, pull the xenia out of the water for a few seconds then dunk it back in the water. Do this several times to rinse away/dilute the slime that the xenia will produce which can cause it to smother itself once it's in the bag.

5. homegrowncorals

Ok thanks for that tip any thing else you might can tell me, how about a small ice pack maybe ? to compensate for the hot weather.

6. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

Good to know Amcarrig!

Homegrown, I'll trade ya my baby toadstool for some xenia....

7. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Try to ship the xenia in as much water as you can possible "afford" so that the slime is further diluted during shipping. I would definitely include an cool/ice pack but put it in an area of the box where it's not directly touching the bag. Where are you shipping it to?

8. Click Here!

9. homegrowncorals

Ok we will do that cuttingras it will be a few days till i can get it all together on this end to ship them send me a pm and we will work out the details . i need to send one to Chicago to

10. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

I ship all of ours in a good amount of water But I also rubber band our square plugs to a Styrofoam flat to help keep them in the water and then I add pure medicial grade oxygen to the bag then seal it I then invert the first bags into the second bag and ship them all with the bag ring or rubber band down to avoid then getting in a corner of the bag. and maybe 2 cool packs wrapped in paper and taped to the lid . Its been hot most everywhere in the states last few weeks ..

11. ziggy222

ziggy222 Fire Goby

garf.org has instructions on shipping xenia

12. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

That's a great way to ship all corals, assuming they're not too heavy to be supported by the styrofoam.