Shimmer effect?

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by elweshomayor, Jan 3, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. elweshomayor

elweshomayor Giant Squid

hey guys, i was wondering if there is a way to obtain the shimmer effect with a fixture of t5ho.?

im already trying to have a lot of surface movement and i can actually see some shimmer around the back and a bit in the front. is there a way to increase this a bit more?

i kinda want to change my background to a complete blue one but havent had the money to get it.my current background has corals drawn into it and the colors it has kinda makes the shimmer less visible.

any ideas?

2. Click Here!

3. TheSaltwaterGuy

TheSaltwaterGuy Banned

I see a shimmer sometimes with metal halides.

4. Bloodkip

Bloodkip Ritteri Anemone

LED can give you the shimmer.

5. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Unfortunately you probably can't get more. Give LED a try to see if it will work.

6. elweshomayor

elweshomayor Giant Squid

MH always have shimmer.. but there is no way i can afford a 72'' metal halide fixture. So i can only work with what i have ATM.

if there is something i can buy to get this effect that is not too expensive, i can put it into my list for when i start my Inwall project.

or something i can modify,?

oh and in the mornings when the sun is up, it hits the window, and since my tank is close to it, it gets the rays from the sun so i get a really cool shimmery effect. but that only lasts a few hours.

7. Bloodkip

Bloodkip Ritteri Anemone

How long is your tank? Are you going to use the LED for the day? There is ebay LED
    72" 90 LED Moonlight Aquarium Moon Light & Power Supply - eBay (item 310283858131 end time Jan-05-11 21:11:19 PST)
    Use that with your current lights.

8. Click Here!

9. elweshomayor

elweshomayor Giant Squid

I tried keeping my moonlights on, in the day lol but the T5s are way too bright for them to make any difference.. ( at night however im completely in love with them 8))

would that fixture in the link be bright enough to make a difference over my t5s?

10. Bloodkip

Bloodkip Ritteri Anemone

maybe, how many LED does your moonlight have?

11. skurious

skurious Sailfin Tang

i doubt that those led with have the power to add the shimmer effect over your t-5's. I dont know if these will either but it might be worth calling and talking with the company about some of these options. you could fairly easily add in some of these stunner strips seen here.

Modular LED Lighting - Products

12. elweshomayor

elweshomayor Giant Squid

6 pairs of 2 little bulbs.