Shattered 29G Tank

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by RutgersReef, Jan 28, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. RutgersReef

RutgersReef Bristle Worm

The back pane of my 29 gallon glass tank shattered as I was drilling an outtake hole. I followed all recommendations by tutorial videos - diamond tipped drill bit, and water-filled ring of putty for lubrication/cooling. Maybe someone here can tell me what I did wrong so I don't waste another tank... Was it possibly tempered glass and not meant to be drilled? The glass shattered after I had already completed the hole and was wiping glass dust away with a rag. I will post some pictures, help!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. _alex_

_alex_ Feather Duster

That is a weird diamond bit. I had never seen one with teeth like that. Most are solid and just diamond coated. I have drilled 16 tanks and have yet to break one or heard of one breaking like that.

Are you sure that is a diamond bit ment for glass?? Also I never used putty and just fill with water I have a hose running constantly flowing water on the hole washing glass dust out as I cut. Also let the drill do the work. No pressure is needed, go slow, and use lots of cold water.

4. _alex_

_alex_ Feather Duster

Also I haven't seem any tempered 29 galons and usually only the bottom is. I have drilled 10 gal successfully so it can be done

1 person likes this.
  5. RutgersReef

RutgersReef Bristle Worm

This bit is meant for glass, I bought it from home depot... specifically says good for glass, ceramic and tile... they didn't seem to even have any solid bits there, all of them had teeth like that. Where might I get a solid bit to drill a 1 3/8" hole?

6. RutgersReef

RutgersReef Bristle Worm

Also, when you say go slow, how long is it meant to take to drill through a tank this size?

7. _alex_

_alex_ Feather Duster

Glass-holes.com sells bits, also BRS does. It takes me about 8-12 minutes to drill a 75 gal tank. Think glass thickness is like 3/8"? I don't even push on the drill I simply hold it straight and pull the trigger. Let the drill weight push the bit. Also the glass-holes.com come with a wood guide plate that makes it a lot easier.

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. linetrash

linetrash Fire Shrimp

I am not a glass guy by any means at all nor have I drilled any tanks to afraid. That is how all tempered glass I have seen break. It is just my tought not meant to be deciding factor. Wait for more opinions.

Haha my own personal disclaimer.

10. RutgersReef

RutgersReef Bristle Worm

They have a 35mm bit at BRS for a very good price, I think I'll try that. I just tried to drill the other side for practice sake, but it shattered again. Even tried going much slower... I have a pretty good feeling this tank is tempered glass; this time it shattered before I even made it through. I will be sure to update... time to look for a new 29G tank.....

11. link248

link248 Ritteri Anemone

I agree, that looks like tempered glass. Friday, I tried to cut some glass from a 20 gallon long tank that I took apart. After I scored the glass, I put the glass cutter under the glass and applied pressure. The whole pain of glass, 15"x12" exploded all over my living room and me. I have never had any problems cutting glass.

12. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

Yep, like a car window, shatters into little pieces. Ever seen a regular window pane like a house window break, usally large shards, not little pieces.

I don't think it was you, looks like tempered glass, I dunno

PS, I've never drilled a tank- yet anyways