shark care(updated!!)

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish' started by bvb-etf-luva, May 7, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. bvb-etf-luva

bvb-etf-luva Banned

i am just sitting here and kinda thinkin out loud right now but maybe it will happen. could any kind of shark be kept in a tank less than 200 gallons? maybe a bamboo shark or something? and what are the care requirements. im just asking because my dad just mentioned to me that he is thinking about building a shark tank in our house when we get it built. what sharks would you guys suggest? is there anything like a step up from a bamboo shark? i dont know much in this area. whats minimum size tank for like a nurse or black tipped shark? can two or more sharks be kept together?

Last edited: May 16, 2011
  2. Click Here!

3. bvb-etf-luva

bvb-etf-luva Banned

4. aw1447

aw1447 Montipora Capricornis

5. aw1447

A lil more info for ya.. The guy I buy all my livestock from has 2 banded cat sharks and 2 zebra eels in a 200 gal.. They've been in there for as long as I can remember and they look as happy as can be. Not to mention they're really awesome. Although I probably wouldn't keep more than one in a tank that size myself.. Check it out though my man, they're really cool sharks.

6. bvb-etf-luva

bvb-etf-luva Banned

i am looking at these, my dad said he wanted something larger, more shark ish so im thinking he means like a black tipped. or something along those lines. what do you guys know about those?

7. aw1447

Not in a 200 bro. Black tips get big. Fast. I've caught 6+ ft black tips in the surf at my casa.

8. Click Here!

9. bvb-etf-luva

bvb-etf-luva Banned

haha i know this, i guess the 200 limitation isnt really applying. there is pretty much no price limit so hes thinking over 1,000. dont worry if we go thru with it ill post it on 3reef

10. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

These types of sharks need hundreds if not thousands of gallons of water to swim. Being pelagic they are swimming constantly, any tank or system smaller leads to issues with them rubbing up against the wall and corners resulting in skin aliments. I would never recommend any type of shark other than a bamboo/cat, I have had a couple but they drove me nuts in short order with the constant circles and that was in a 120 gal.

11. aw1447

Haha yah that build thread is a must. But if your talking that big.. Then yeah Blacks or nurses would be cool. Although both can still get really big. Nurse sharks have the same kind of appearance as cat sharks though.. With the mouth situated at the bottom of their face with the shell crunching pads. If your lookin for some teeth, I'd go with a black tip

12. aw1447

Yeah I completely agree. A smaller black or nurse is cool, but like I said.. Sharks grow muchhhh faster than our typical reef fish do.