Share your experience.. 6-line Wrasse or Blue Yellow-Tail Damsel

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish' started by Aqualung, Jan 13, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Aqualung

Aqualung Stylophora

I'm looking for a new fish, and want one that readily feeds on parasites.. like the small population of flatworms in my tank. I've read that people use Yellow tails in their coral propogation tanks, and they eat zoa eating nudis and flatworms. I've also read 6 lines devour flatworms, but i'm not sure about nudis. So please share your experience or knowledge!
    OK go!!

2. Click Here!

3. Iraf

Iraf Snowflake Eel

ive seen my 6 line tear them up before so thats my vote

4. Aqualung

Aqualung Stylophora

Do they eat hydroids too, lol!

5. sharkyshark

sharkyshark Spaghetti Worm

we have a couple yellow tail, they are pretty boring and kinda nasty compared to the domino damsels. they do eat everything tho (they play with everything too)

6. LCP136

LCP136 Sailfin Tang

My vote is the 6 line for 3 reasons. 1) They're less aggressive if you want to keep any other fish in the tank. 2) They are just as predatory and will eat just as many pests. 3) The look much nicer. Just my 2 cents.

7. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

I find that my yellow tail is just as nice as my 6 line. Once used to a new fish he becomes quite passive actually. I think they are both great fish and have had both almost since the start of my tank. The six line does seem to forage among the lr more than my yellow tail, so I would vote for him, but either one is a winner.

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. baugherb

baugherb Giant Squid

I just added a sixline... I don't know for sure, but I haven't seen a flatworm since...

10. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

I completely agree. Anymore, I like to add smaller fish that have good looks (like their owner!!!!!!.....work with me on that one.....) and a purpose as well. Until a few days ago, I had no idea that the yellow tail ate flatworms. Bonus. A six line is still on my wanted list. The more predation against these nasty little parasites the better.

11. Aqualung

Aqualung Stylophora

Awesome replys guys, I'm leaning towards the sixline, too! Anyone else!?

12. =Jwin=

=Jwin= Tassled File Fish

I love my sixline. PROS with a 6 line Wrasse: color, adds a ton of movement and life to any tank, constantly foraging in the LR, hardy and eats alot (mine at flake food 30 minutes after being acclimated into the tank), just an all around good fish to watch and do its job. CONS: I have heard they are known jumpers, but I have never had a problem. I don't think he's even broken the surface of the water before. Mine is fairly territorial. It took him about 3 days to warm up to our Blenny we just got. Now they eat and sometimes even just swim together, he still has his select rocks the blenny isn't allowed to touch, or else he'll get chased off. But that's normal and the Blenny is HYPER.

Ever since we got our 6 line, we have never seen any parasite anywhere. We haven't even seen a bristle worm! The last time I saw a bristle worm, he was killing it, and we found maybe half of it in the rockwork one day. Dead. Very good fish, it gets my vote.