SEVERE algae problem. Brown/green slime over all rocks! Please Help!

Discussion in 'Algae' started by Cyruskayos, Jul 9, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Cyruskayos

Cyruskayos Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Hello all, I have a really bad problem. I set up my 36 gallon bowfront tank in January of this year. I have had algae problems since the first week. I have never had my tank algae free :( I finally cant take it anymore. It is getting worse. I do water changes every 2 weeks and my light hours (250 watt) are:

7 am-(4) night lights cut off (blue leds)
    7 am-(2) actinic lights cut on
    10 am-metal halide cuts on
    6 pm-metal halide cuts off
    8 pm- (2) actinic lights cut off
    8 pm-(4) night lights cut on (simple blue leds)

I use RO/DI water.

PLEASE help me! what is this? how do i get rid of it?

Thank you!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

What are the water parameters ?

Calcium
    DKH
    Magnesium
    Nitrates
    Phosphates
    And filtration methods ? And what skimmer do you use ?

4. Bogie

Bogie Snowflake Eel

Well your fish don't seem to mind...
    Have you taken water tests? Phosphate, silicate, nitrate...something is feeding that algae forest. Either an over feeding issue, or other serious source of the above mentioned inside your tank. Did you use aragonite sand when you set it up? And you could cut back on the MH lights a couple hrs a day. And I'm looking for a skimmer in your pics but don't see one, unless it's below the tank?

Low alk, cal, and mag levels also provide good algae growing conditions.

Start with adding phosban/phosguard or similar product to absorb possible silicates and phosphates.
    Consider scarlet legged hermits, algae blenny to help eat it?
    Does the sailfin tang eat any? Maybe stop feeding him until he starts picking at the rock...

Get back to us with those water test results.

1 person likes this.
  5. Cyruskayos

i'll check them right now, and as for the skimmer, i'm actually not sure, i just bought my whole sump all in one from fish world....i'll take a picture of it...give me a few mins to check the parameters

6. wildreef

wildreef Stylophora

First off shut them lights off or cycle them down to a couple of hours a day, just for the one or two softies i can see in the tank.
    ( so that the light dont encourage algae growth )

What type of filtration are you using ( dont see it )?

What are you feeding ? how often ?

If it were me' i'd remove each rock and scrub the hell outa it
    ( this will reduce the total amount your dealing with right now )

what are water prameters now ?

7. Cyruskayos

oh, and if i dont respond, its because we were just issued a tornado warning, so power may go out.

and bogie, i set it up with wet sand. it was very fine sand so....im not sure what that would be. and what do you suggest my hours for my lights be? also, i used phosban (i think it was called that) about 2 weeks ago, didnt help. and as for the tang, he will pick at the rocks, RARELY...he only seems to like hair algae, that was the reason i got him was to get rid of a hair algae problem i had a couple months ago, i havnt seen hair algae since, and now i have this nasty dark brown slop all over everything. alright let me go check my water params

8. Click Here!

9. Cyruskayos

okay here are the water parameters:

nitrates- 0
    phosphate- 0.25 - 0.5
    carbonate hardness- 8 dKH (which is also, 143.2 ppm KH)
    calcium- 340 mg/L (ppm)

that are all of the tests that came in the kit i bought

I am feeding dry pellet food. just a small pinch a day. Its called "spectrum thera + A"

here are pictures of the sump and 2 of the test results:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. R34dawn

R34dawn Ocellaris Clown

those readings indicate that your problem is not the water, maybe the photo period has something to do with this!?! anyone?... how long are your lights on for? what is the light spectrum? type of bulb and how much are you feeding you fish?

11. Bogie

Bogie Snowflake Eel

Ok, so you're skimming, but unless you cleaned that, it doesn't look like you're pulling in much.
    For a 36 gall with sump, I'd say add 1 or 1-1/2 heaping tablespoon of Arm & Hammer baking soda to get the alk up to around 12-14 dKH for starters. You should have some of that around the home somewhere, it's basically just bicarbonates, same as any reef buffer mix.
    You gotta take care of that phosphate isssue. If there is that much algae in the tank, and you are testing at 0.25-0.5, then there is actually more - the algae is just consuming it. Either it is abundant somewhere in your tank, or there is a problem with your RO/DI. Start by checking phosphates in your tap water out of the faucet, as well as in the water that comes directly out of the RO/DI unit. Follow directions exactly on the kit.

12. Bogie

Bogie Snowflake Eel

Lights cause phosphates how? There is definitely a problem with the water.
    Lights may also be adding to the algae growth, though and we have already established that, see above...