Unresolved Several unkown corals. Please help me ID them!

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by Magnus, Jul 8, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

EDIT: POST UPDATED. IMAGES SHOULD NOW BE LARGER OR CLICKEABLE!

Hello guys and gals! I'm back with some ID requests, these are in fact all of my corals, if you think any of them that has a name is not what I think it it, please let me know!!! The ones where I mention they're recovering it is because of a major alkalinity spike on a quest to make my calcium higher and using products that not only made the calcium higher, but also alkalinity, causing a major spike before I knew any better.
    Also, I apologize for the long post.

1) Just the Side view of my tank.
    [​IMG] Side View
    2) And the front view.
    [​IMG] Front View
    3)
    [​IMG] Dendrophyllia. Thanks Peredhil for the ID!
    4)
    [​IMG] It doesn't look like it, but there's a watermelon shroom on the left of that frag disk and an unknown zoa on the right that I got from John Maloney. It doesn't open much, but we'll see if it grows now with the better water parameters.
    5)
    [​IMG] My purple colt is doing pretty good :)
    6)
    [​IMG] These look blue in the picture, but they're purple mushrooms.
    7)
    [​IMG] On the top left: BLue ridge coral check below the picture where he was doing not so well. Top Left: Green Star Polyps or Starburst coral?
    [​IMG] This is when the Blue Ridge Coral and shrooms were not doing so hot. Still recovering, but looks better above. All polyps are fully out :):)
    8)
    [​IMG]My Green Frogspawn also recovering slowly.
    9)
    [​IMG]Unidentified crazy looking green zoa. Help with ID would be cool on this one, and also any of the unidentified corals ;)
    10)
    [​IMG]Tubs Blue zoanthids. They outgrew the plug in a matter of 1 week and Just place another disk next to it to see if they creep up on it :)
    11)
    [​IMG] Fire and ice zoanthids. Thanks to reefmonkey for ID'ing these!
    12)
    [​IMG]These Unidentified Zoantids have also red polyps, but the eye is hot pink where the single head is some psychodelic mix between light blue and purple.
    13)
    [​IMG]Green Hairy Mushroom. Just found another one growing in a rock about 8 inches from him! How did that happen?
    14)
    [​IMG]Assorted Unknown Zoanthids. The bottom branch has green polyped and orange eyes. The bunch at the top has Red polyps with Yellow eyes/orange eyes. There's also the one in the end I really like how it looks but don't know what it is. It's just mixed there in the bunch.

15) REMOVED

16)
    [​IMG]Above is a Stlylophora (I think?) from the rubble bin. I'ts not really all that great. I have it at the top where it's brigther. At the bottom of the picture, another bunch of unidentified zoas, these have green with pink and orange eyes.
    17)
    [​IMG]From left to right: Single head Radioactive Green Candy Cane, Unknown acropora in the center and another unknown acropora on the right.
    18)
    [​IMG] Seasons Greetings. The edges are starting to show some white. It wasn't in good shape when I got it, but it was free. I'm hoping it will pull through.
    19)
    [​IMG]Yet, another unknown acropora. This one has little green tentacles that come out from the body.
    20)
    [​IMG]Yes!! One more unknown acropora. Most of these I got for free, so I don't know what the names are. Please help me ID them. I'll re-post all this on the "ID this" forum later.
    21)
    [​IMG] The ones at the back are also stylophoras. They seem to be very, super slowly recovering. But I can't say they have made a lot of progress.
    The single stick at the bottom of the pic, mounted on the plug is dan Acropora Rosaria that is slowly dying off. I think this one took a real hit when my alk went trough the roof and I'm almost positive it won't make it. It looks way too white to pull through.
    22)
    [​IMG] Finally, in the back there are some unkown acropora that I got also from the rubble bin at my LFS as discards. They seem alive but they don't extend their polyps. In the front of the pictures you can see my Tri Color Tortuosa Acropora. THis one is now slowly recovering and I can see how it has recovered some of the blue color.

Sorry for such a long post!!

- Mag.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2010
  2. Click Here!

3. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

These pics aren't clickable for me... Very tiny, hard to see. Did what I could.

3)
    [​IMG] Dendrophylia
    4)
    [​IMG] I think I see small closed zoa heads on the right
    5)
    [​IMG] Might be the angle, but doesn't look like xenia to me
    6)

7)
    [​IMG] I think I'm looking at GSP. these pics are tiny

9)

10)
    [​IMG]Tubs Blue zoanthids. Very purdy
    11)

1 person likes this.
  4. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

Pics are to small Mag. :(

From the angle #11 looks like fire and ice zoo to me and I pretty much agree
    with peredhil's ID's

1 person likes this.
  5. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

Damn!! My apologies. I was trying to save bandwidth. Is that something I should not be concerned about? I can re-link to full size or decent size pics.

@ Peredhil, I believe that may be a colt coral on picture #5. It was given to me as a xenia tree.
    I'll work on the pictures and the quality. They were not supposed to be this small anyway :(

Will update main post so they can be seen better.

- Mag.

6. horkn

horkn Giant Squid

#3 is definitely a dendro
    #5 appears to be a kenya tree
    #10 are tubbs blue zoas.

other zoas I won't even try to ID. People make up names for these like they are going out of style.

The SPS might be easier to ID once they grow out a little more.

1 person likes this.
  7. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

I agree. Like scientific names aren't hard enough, they make up names left and right. I could possibly make up new names for each one of the corals I posted here, and only a few would be open open to doubts by the hobbyist. At least we're making progress here ;)
    Thanks for the input!!!

8. Click Here!

9. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Corals are looking good. Acros are hard to identify at times because you need to put tissue underneath a microscope to figure out the species.

10. horkn

horkn Giant Squid

The acro in #17 looks very similar to the Marshall Islands Acro I got from ORA a few years back. That's all ORA called it at least.

Other than that, the green one #20 appears to be a green millepora. If I didn't look at the extended polyps on my green mille colony, it would look just like that.

Oh and 22 appears to be some sort of tri color valida acro.

11. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

Which one where you talking about on number 17?

There are 2 acros in that pic and the candy cane!! I figured I'll take that triple shot to save some bandwidth... I don't really know what's my concern with bandwidth! I used to run a site long time ago and bandwidth was always the issue... I guess that's why! :D

From picture 17, I believe the one single stick in the middle is some type of millipora. It's got tentacles that used to come out from it when it was healthier. This one is definitely coming back slowly but it's the fastest of all the acros to recover :)

- Mag.

12. horkn

horkn Giant Squid

The one in front appears to be like my ORA marshall island acro that i used to have many tanks ago.

The one behind that, sure appears to be a millepora based on its skeleton.