Several Newbie Questions

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by |-Goku-|, Aug 5, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. MoJoe

MoJoe Dragon Wrasse

Here's the 6-bulb TEK Elite version, you can buy with or without bulbs from reefgeek: http://www.reefgeek.com/lighting/T5...-Output_Fixture_(Graphite)_by_Sunlight_Supply

You do have to purchase the mounting brackets extra with the TEKs, they are adjustable so you can mount them however high or low over the tank: http://www.reefgeek.com/lighting/T5...lite_T5_Fixture_(Graphite)_by_Sunlight_Supply

The difference between the TEK standard vs Elite is:

Elite - comes with acrylic shield included & has cooling fans to keep the bulbs functioning better & lasting longer.

However, you could run a standard TEK without shield and many have been fine without one, that way the bulbs won't be enclosed and heat up. Others have added a fan to blow across the fixture as well to keep it cooler.

Check out AquaticLife, heard many positives about them. You get the fixture, moonlights, the fans, the splash guard, the mounting legs, a built-in digital timer that controls all bulb sets + the moonlights as well. Also has nice reflectors for the price: 6x54W T5 HO Fixture with 4 Lunars - 48" - Lighting - T-5 Fixtures at BigalsOnline

+ if you order something from BigAlsonline they are a sponsor here and you can call in and mention 3REEF and I believe they will give you 10% your order. Very reputable and reliable company. Here's their thread mentioning the 10% off, it's in the first post bottom paragraph: http://www.3reef.com/forums/big-als-online/3reef-coupon-code-change-90168.html

2. Click Here!

3. |-Goku-|

|-Goku-| Fire Worm

4. MoJoe

MoJoe Dragon Wrasse

I have wondered about the AquaMedic Ocean lights got no feedback on 3reef when I inquired. I have read a few places that mention the reflectors are very packed in since they are designed to be very sleek. Looking at pics it's hard to say. I would def be comfortable saying TEKs have better reflectors. There's so much positive feedback on the TEKs that it can't be denied.

5. |-Goku-|

|-Goku-| Fire Worm

Sounds like I will be going with the TEK Elites then :)

6. |-Goku-|

|-Goku-| Fire Worm

BTW, what kind of LED's did you use for the Lunar lights, and how did you mod them onto your TEK Elite?

7. |-Goku-|

|-Goku-| Fire Worm

My next question is about Sand...Since I will be starting out with FOWLR, and going to a reef setup, what kind should I get. I read that Marcoh's sand is good. Any other suggestions? Any particular type good? Should I only need 2 inch sand bed, or should I do a Deeper sand bed?

Thanks everyone!

8. Click Here!

9. marlinman

marlinman Zoanthid

IMO look for an all in one lighting system. One that has dawn/dusk & daylights & moonlights. I'm not vouging for nova extreme but do check thoroughly on the internet including ebay. With a Coralife power center 3 way timer your in business. If you could build a high canopy 12"-15" then you could get a retrofit and not have to deal with moving the fixture when you have to work on the tank(rocks, sand, moving corals etc). Do your homework because it's your tank and your work of art and you want it to be special.;)
    NOVA Extreme 48" T-5 Fixture 8 x 54W by Current USA* - AquaCave

10. MoJoe

MoJoe Dragon Wrasse

I actually didn't "mod" my actual TEK fixture but I just attached two 1w Coralife moonlights on the back rim of my tank. This is what they look like: Coralife Aqualight 1W Lunar Blue-Moon-Glow LED Light (470Nm) (Univ. And Track Mount Incl.)

FYI on getting the TEK Elite, yes, it's a great fixture, it will cost you a good amount of $ after you add in the expense of good quality bulbs, mounting brackets, digital timers, & moonlights if you decide to get some.

There is a benefit & convenience to getting an all-in-one system as Marlin also mentioned, like the AquaticLife 6-bulb I suggested. All you would need to do is add better bulbs after you get it, or you can use the stock bulbs for a while until you get corals.

For the sand, you want about a lb or more per gallon of your tank. I got 60lbs of Aragonite sand and that was a nice amount for my 55g. You don't need "live" sand as your sand will become "live" as your tank establishes. I would look into Caribsea Aragonite or any good quality Aragonite sand made for SW tanks. Everyone's different, you don't need a deep sand bed, but I like something that comes over the trim that you can see. I think my sand bed is about 4 inches total with the 60lbs, it comes up about 2" over my bottom tank trim, here's a pic:

Attached Files:

11. |-Goku-|

|-Goku-| Fire Worm

Thanks for the picture MoJoe.

I'm still trying to decide between the All in one lighting or the TEK Elite. Is there really any added benefit of going with the TEK Elite? Are the reflectors better then the AquaticLife? I would like to have an all in one solution, but not if I'm going to sacrifice quality in the long wrong. Also, I was wondering what kind of bulbs I would need to get. I guess it all depends if I go LPS or SPS, correct?

Can you not keep SPS and LPS in the same tank/system? From what I read they require different Color Spectrums. And I also read that it might be benificial to go with 8x54w. Is this true? I was looking at the dimensions and it didn't look like it would fit on my 75g, but I could be wrong.

Thanks!

12. MoJoe

MoJoe Dragon Wrasse

If you truly have the budget, I would get an ATI Sunpower or PowerModule fixture with 6x54w bulbs. You cannot mount ATI's as they do not have legs and noone makes them. You will need to hang the fixture from your ceiling or figure some way to DIY. That fixture will be fine for anything you want to keep, SPS, LPS, Clams, Softies, it will be a beast.

The TEK Elite is under the ATI in terms of performance, by a little bit. It's a very nice fixture, well built, great reflectors, & nice with the active cooling now. TEK's are IMO a step above the AquaticLife, Current Nova, Coralife, AquaMedic, Wave Point, etc. brands. Those brands are fine, I just think TEK edges them out in terms of performance & construction.

Light demand of corals isn't anything to do with the "color spectrum" it's the PAR (Photosynthetically Active Radiation) a bulb puts out that they use. SPS & most clams normally demand more light but you can defnitely keep them together with LPS and Soft corals. My tank is stuffed with LPS & some softies and any SPS I get will go up higher in the column nearer to my light.

A 8x54w fixure would be overkill for a 75g IMO, it wouldn't fit over your tank comfortably and you would need to hang it also. A quality 6x54w fixture with nice bulbs would be totally fine for all softies, LPS, some clams, & some SPS if it's kept up higher in the tank.

You want to get bulbs that are high in PAR value and that give you a nice combo of the color spectrum. You can't go wrong with ATI bulbs, they're my fav brand & also the KZ Fiji Purple is also very nice.

If I had a 6-bulb fixture here is what I'd put into it (front-to-back):

ATI Blue +
    ATI AquaBlue
    ATI Blue +
    KZ Fiji Purple
    ATI Blue +
    ATI AquaBlue

The Blue +'s will give you a "blue" spectrum, Aquablue is a "white", Fiji Purple makes the "red" & other colors pop nicely. All these bulbs are high in PAR which is what you're looking to optimize with your fixture.

I'm sure you'll get other advice on other bulbs those above are the ones I use and am most familiar with.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2010