Several Newbie Questions

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by |-Goku-|, Aug 5, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. |-Goku-|

|-Goku-| Fire Worm

Hmmm...where to start...well first, this is going to be my first Saltwater setup, and I have a few questions. I have done a lot of research these past 2 weeks to the point where I can't go to sleep without dreaming about saltwater setups(Dunno if this is a good thing or a bad thing).

About the setup I'm thinking of: The tank is either going to be a 55g or 75g, I haven't decided, but I think it will be a 55g because I can get a nice tank and stand and canopy for $340. I also have a 30g tank that I was thinking of using for a sump/fuge. I want to start out with a FOWLR tank, and then turn it into a Reef tank. Hopefully I can do that.

Anyway, here are my questions:

First off, whats the best kind of Saltwater test kits? I see one in the local pet store for $40 bucks, that seems excessive to me, but it could be perfectly normal pricing.

Second: What kind of lighting do I need for FOWLR. Will normal fluorescent lighting work, and then switch when I start the reef tank?

Third: Sumps, as I stated above, I will be using a 30g tank for a sump/fuge. Will this be ok? And also, the plumbing of the sump, I see pictures of peoples sumps with tubing going everywhere. I though there is just the input on one end and the return on the other. With some people having a tube that is used for the ATO.

Fourth: Chemicals, I see people with the Auto dosing, how do you know how to set the timing?

I know I have more questions, but Its 3:30AM and I'm at work, so my brain is fried.

Anyway, thanks for all the input in advanced.

|-Goku-|

P.S. Awesome website:):):):):):)

2. Click Here!

3. Reeron

Reeron Blue Ringed Angel

1st: I test for pH, Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, Magnesium, Calcium, Phosphate, and KH (Carbonate Hardness). I only test Ammonia and Nitrite when first starting a tank (maybe 1st month or so), then only test it if there is a problem. I test Nitrate and pH probably once a month. The others (Mag, Cal, Phosphate and KH) are the only ones I test more than once a month on an established tank (once or twice a week in the beginning until I'm sure everything is going well). So, $40 could be cheap depending on what you are getting.

2nd: Yes. I started with a FOWLR with a normal florescent light fixture (double bulb) and it was fine. Just make sure to get saltwater bulbs (10000k bulb and 50/50 actinic was what I used with that fixture). I would not use regular freshwater bulbs as you will have major algae problems that way.

3rd: 30g will be just fine. I have just the drain line and a return line. The extra tubing is only necessary if you get a more complicated setup going.

4th: Dosing has to be figured out over time. That's where your water testing (parameters from 1st) comes into play. Until you have at least a couple of months of taking tests and keeping notes, you will have no idea what rate to dose things.

4. bluetang08

bluetang08 Purple Spiny Lobster

Haha it 430am here I came in at three too. Well first of all you sound alot like me about two years ago, which isnt neccesarily bad ;). Speaking from experience Ill just go ahead and tell you that if you are thinking a reef then you will def be there at some time so just go ahead and get the reef lighting, its much cheaper than buying twice, and no HO bulbs wont work. Either go MH (my choice) or T5, there is no in between. Also plan in your FOWLR design a fuge or the ability to add a fuge down the line. IMO a fuge is a must for a thriving reef setup. Also don't skimp on the skimmer either way, theres alot of choices out there but for quality and price I suggest swcskimmers.com (a sponsor here). As far as test kits go the main things to test for once a cycle is complete are Calcium and Alkalinity with an occasional Nitrate and Magnesium. For the Ca and Alk I just use API test bought online for $8 and $5. The Mg is a little more pricey but you can hold off on that one I use Elos but Salifert is good as well either way a good Mg kit is $30-$40. Oh and Nitrate I use API also for around $5. Keep in mind these kits provide you with roughly 50 tests, so a single kit is good for almost a year. Also most shopping can be done online and alot of sites offer free shipping if you spend enough (which you will). Some good sites are drsfostersmith.com, marinedepot.com, marineandreef.com . Also other things you will need are powerheads, heater, thermometer, and MOST importantly live rock. The rock doesnt have to bee ALL live at the time of purchase it will become live on its own. I will suggest marcorocks.com for the dry base rock which will be seeded and become live. You can "seed" this rock with a couple of pieces of live more expensive rock obtained from either a LFS (local fish store) or a fellow local reefer. Hope that helps theres a ton more but you will discover that soon enough don't worry you are in the right spot 95% of everything I have learned in two years are from trial and error and 3reef.

5. Telgar

Telgar Snowflake Eel

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    For those of you joining us that are new to the hobby - the best piece of advice you'll get around here as a saltwater newbie is 3Reef's slogan
    "Go slow, let it grow."
    And for those experianced hobbyists joining us - it's still good advice :p
    good luck and post pics soon :)

read these and then come back and ask about anything you still don't understand. we'll get you squared away and on the right path :)

http://www.3reef.com/forums/new-hobby/how-setup-saltwater-aquarium-89044.html

http://www.3reef.com/forums/new-hobby/ultimate-newbie-guide-86462.html

http://www.3reef.com/forums/reef-aquarium-articles-how-tos/all-about-sumps-filters-fuges-79852.html

http://www.3reef.com/forums/protein-skimmers/all-about-skimmers-skimmers-skimmer-85389.html

http://www.3reef.com/forums/general-reef-topics/handy-research-links-89299.html

6. |-Goku-|

|-Goku-| Fire Worm

Thanks for all the quick replies. Got a few more questions.

If I am starting with just a FOWLR, and the normal hood lights are going to cost 179, would it be worth it to just go with something like 48" 260 Watt Aqualight Compact Fluorescent Strip for 299? Or are those not the right kind for Reef?

Also what does 50/50 actinic mean?

I have also read about putting styrafoam underneath the tank. Does this really help, and is it really necessary for a 55/75 gallon tank? And on that topic, what happens if the level of the tank is just a little off? I will be putting in in the living room on carpet until I put hardwood floor down.

Thanks again for the help :)

7. bluetang08

bluetang08 Purple Spiny Lobster

You have the right idea about just going ahead and getting better lights now for about $100 more, but compact flourescents arent proven, look at T5 lights they produce much more PAR(this is good) and are relatively the same price wise. 50/50 actinic means 50% blue and 50% white light. As far as putting styrofoam underneath I agree with the concept just not the material, I instead opted to use a thin piece of rubber which achieves the same goal and is easier on the eyes

8. Click Here!

9. coachtjm

coachtjm Plankton

agreed with many of the posts above. Buy quality the first time...when I started a couple years ago, I bought cheap stuff just so I can hurry up and get started. ebay style lighting, covered the tank with plexi rather than actual canopies that fit etc. In this time I have learned a lot but mainly I am at a stage now where I am buying nice stuff the first time. This doesn't always mean expensive. for example eshopps skimmers: cheap and good.

10. |-Goku-|

|-Goku-| Fire Worm

Another quick question. I have a Seaclone 150 Protein skimmer that was given to me. Someone offered me 60 bucks for it. Is a Seaclone 150 good enough as a hangon filter for my sump. Or should I get a better one. I imagine a seaclone would be enough for a FOWLR, but will it be just as good for a Reef aquarium?

Thanks for the input

11. SAY

SAY Ocellaris Clown

in my opinion, you go with the largest tank you can afford. not only because you will eventually want more room but the more water, the easier it is to keep your parameters stable.

12. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

I also agree with all of the above posts. Very good info. Buy what you can, the good stuff, the first time. Buy the largest tank you can afford & plan for equipment & salt when keeping in mind "buy the largest you can afford".