Setup for Independantly Dimmable Sets

Discussion in 'RapidLED' started by Dr. Bergeron, Sep 22, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Dr. Bergeron

Dr. Bergeron Peppermint Shrimp

Hey guys,

Thanks for sponsoring. I would really like to take advantage of your offers this month on kits. I have my eye on the 12 Ultra Premium DIY retrofit, but would like to have 2 meanwell dimmable drivers so I can control the brightness of the whites and blues and put them on timers separately. Can this be added to the kit, or a special kit be created for this type of setup?

Also, if I understand the way these meanwells work, we don't need a DC adapter at all, and just need to splice the power cord into the driver's + and - since it's capable of using line power, correct? If so that's awesome.

Please advise on if this extra driver can be added to the kit, if not I will just have to order it "ala cart".

Also, as a product request for the D's, it would be nice if you guys carried 10K pots and 9 or 10v regulated DC units so we could set up dimmers, or even order "D" dim kits. A future product perhaps?

2. Click Here!

3. Rapid LED

Rapid LED 3reef Sponsor

Hello there,

Yes, we can put together any custom kit that you would like. In regards to adding a dimmable driver, we recommend running at least 8 LEDs with each driver as the lowest voltage these drivers will put out is 24V. If you run less than 8 LEDs you risk burning the LEDs out (as a reference point, XR-E's take about 3.3V at 700mA). Thus, if you wanted to control white and blue LEDs separately you would need a 16 LED kit with 2 dimmable drivers.

Both of the Mean Well ELN dimmable drivers we carry will require an additional 10V power source for the dimming circuit. You're right in that the power cord wires do get spliced to the driver, however that is to power up the driver itself and not the dimming circuit. Without a power source going to the dimming circuit the circuit will essentially be at 0%, meaning your driver will never come on.

It seems you've read our mind, we were just discussing carrying these items last week. I'd expect us to start carrying these items in the very near future (hopefully within a couple of weeks).

Hope that helped answer your questions.

4. Dr. Bergeron

Dr. Bergeron Peppermint Shrimp

Hmm, this LED fixture would be going over a 12 gallon tank, and only an 11 inch depth so I'm pretty sure 16 LEDs would give whatever was in there a sunburn at full power.
    soo....

Better idea: I'll get a 06 premium and a then a modified a 12 dimmable kit with only 8 LEDS. I could put all blues on the LPC, and then use an 8 LED combo of whites and blues to adjust the color to my liking on the dimmable. This would give me the dual timer setup and adjustable color. See any problems with a setup like this?

5. Rapid LED

Rapid LED 3reef Sponsor

So would you only have 4 of the Cool White LEDs with this set-up? My only concern is if the tank would be getting enough light, most of the lumens coming from LEDs are going to be from your cool white LEDs and not the royal blue. Thus if you had 12 RB LEDs and 4 CWs (which may not be run at full power) I'd be wary of turning them way down as that will really limit how much light the tank will get. You might want to consider throwing a couple cool whites in with the LPC just to be safe.