Setting up a tank with well water

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by VT rules, Feb 10, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. VT rules

VT rules Bristle Worm

I'm in the process of setting up a new tank for the first time. I've read a lot of people that recommend not using straight tap water due to chlorine and other minerals. How about well water (no chlorine)? Can this be used without any conditioning products or RO/DI filtering? Any recommendations?

Thanks,
    Glenn

2. Click Here!

3. SERMECH

SERMECH Plankton

i would say no test the water and your going to find all types of nasties in the well water that can cause alge bloom in your tank then again you might have great water have it tested and find out.

4. NUGIO

NUGIO Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

I agree take it and have it tested @ your LFS

5. antonio101

antonio101 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Test

Please test the water before you use it.

6. Phil5613

Phil5613 Purple Spiny Lobster

Problem with well water even if its your own well is the hardness of the water you will have trouble mixing salt and have other issues as well

7. karlas

karlas Fire Goby

i would say it depends on the water get it tested phosphates, nitrates, copper and so on. i used well water for a long time i got it at my moms before she moved to town and i never had any problems in it no nitrates, copper, phosphates, clorines but i was lucky when i tested it it had a natural calcium level and i never had to add calcium to the tank. but now i have to get water else where now i have to add calcium supplements test it and see what you come up with

8. Click Here!

9. m_lacom99

m_lacom99 Stylophora

I did that experience about 10 years ago. The thing is you never know whats going to be in the water. Even if you get it tested and it turns out ok a week later the water source can get infected by pretty much anything. I had the tank running great for about 6 months (FOWLR) and then all of a suddun i lost 800$ of fish in 24 hours. So IMO i would say a big NO.

Marc.

10. Blade_Runner

Blade_Runner Gigas Clam

Don't be cheap. Get a good RODI unit.

11. VT rules

VT rules Bristle Worm

LOL, I'm not trying to be cheap but the whole RODI system sounds like it's kind of a pain in the butt. I was hoping for something that I could screw onto the faucet and run the water through it. It sounds like I need to be a plumber to get this thing set up. :(

12. SERMECH

SERMECH Plankton

no the rodi units are easy to set up they make it sound harder than it is.