Set up running for 24 hours QUESTIONS

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by RidinBurton, Dec 4, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. RidinBurton

RidinBurton Plankton

Hey guys so I just got my first tank up and running with the following specs.
    -29 gallon
    ~30 lbs dead figi rock from BRS
    -20lbs arag alive special grade
    -1.026 salinity
    -79*F
    -Jebao wp-25 powerhead

Will be turning on filter and protein skimmer after cycle.

Questions:

1. I did not glue the rocks prior to filling it and am thinking for stability purposes I should have used an epoxy of some kind. Thoughts?

2. The tank smells BAD! Is there any way to remove this smell? I am guessing stuff in the rock is just dying off? Can I maybe throw carbon in the filter or will that throw off the cycle?

3. How should I position the powerhead to get flow in all areas without blowing sand everywhere. As you can see in the pic I currently have a bare spot in the front left corner.

** The light is being left off to prevent algea growth and was only turned on to take the picture. Sorry the Pic is so blurry, not really sure what happened there.[​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. Monstaman717

Monstaman717 Flamingo Tongue

1. I have never epoxied anything and have never had a problem I don't think it's necessary especially because it doesn't look like you have a crazy aquascape which would need it. The tank looks good so far though!

2. Smell idk what to tell you sorry just tough it out
    Maybe somebody else knows a trick but I don't know one sorry for no help :p

3. That's just going to be you messing around with the power head
    Move it around and see how you like the flow where it is
    Or maybe change the setting on the wp-25
    Every tank is different with how you want the flow

4. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

I'm not sure what would be smelling if you used dry rock. Perhaps the sand has some die off? That powerhead is pretty strong for your size tank so you may have to play around with the speeds and settings. I might suggest putting it in the back corner pointed forward. I'm sure others will chime in with advice on that. I wouldn't put carbon in at this point.

5. sailorguy

sailorguy Torch Coral

wp25 is pretty strong for a 29,you could try positioning it lower so flow is redirected by the rockwork.I have read on here that some people are using adjustable DC power supplies with the Jebao pumps to slow them down.

6. Monstaman717

Monstaman717 Flamingo Tongue

I heard that as well but someone told me that it wouldn't work on their wp25
    Only their wp40
    Just a fair warning
    Idk if it was just him or if the wp25 is incompatible

7. 3dees

3dees Plankton

if you have a filter, turn it on during the cycle. you need the bacteria to form in the filter media. the skimmer can wait but won't hurt if you want to break it in.

8. Click Here!

9. rocketmandb

rocketmandb Ocellaris Clown

Your tank and the rocks are small enough and look to have enough knobs and hooks on them that they will stay decently well.

What does it smell like? A new tank with new sand and new water should not smell like anything other than saltwater.

You can try pointing it at the rocks (near the top). The irregular shape of the rocks will break up the stream and not force the flow all to one place where it displaces the sand.

With that said, you might consider getting a couple smaller pumps instead of one larger one.

10. RidinBurton

RidinBurton Plankton

Thanks for all of the advice guys, the smell is actually going away thank goodness. I was also able to rearrange the rocks in such a manner that they are very sturdy and I am no longer worried on that front.

I really only have one final issue at that point which is setting up my ATO system. I have a jbj ATO and am curious about which pump to use. I have heard great things about Toms aqualifter, but as I dont have a sump I don't think it will work with my setup (the top of the tank is almost 5ft from the ground and the aqualifter is only rated to 30") I have alot of misc powerheads laying around and was thinking of keeping a spare 5 gallon bucket of RODI water in the closet right next to the tank with and using a powerhead to top it off. Would my spare maxijet 1200 work for that? If so how the heck to I set it up ha. Thanks for all of your help guys, you rock!

11. Kevin88

Kevin88 Astrea Snail

If you still need help with positioning the powerhead, I have a 500 gph in my 10 gallon that was causing most of my coral to close up. I put it on the right wall near the top so that most flow is near the top of the tank, which seems to have made it better.