Seriously Considering

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquariums' started by oceansurf, Mar 17, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. oceansurf

oceansurf Purple Spiny Lobster

I am seriously considering adding plastic plants to my aquarium. I'm just so tired of the care real plants need. Perhaps I'll just let my real plants float & " maybe" grow. It may not look as nice, but ....................................

2. Click Here!

3. 50JumpChump

50JumpChump Flamingo Tongue

IMO plastic plants are cheesy! Sorry but I dont think I will have any plants really, to each his own. Also I wouldnt let a plant free float, How big is the plants and what else do you have in the tank. Will it knock into anything or shade anything? Sorry not much help 50JC

4. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

I have a friend with a tank.

The tank has no water.

It has a model of a crawfish and a frog in it.

It has plastic plants in it.

Has some broken boat thing in it.

He likes it. "Maintenance Free" he boasts.

I think it's pointless :p

Whatever floats your boat...

5. Brandon1023

Brandon1023 Fire Goby

........... :confused: I'm completely without words. Which is RARE...for me....

6. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

even floating there not gonna grow with less then one wpg.
    i guess you don't like that answer but plants need light theres no way around it.
    plants are a fun and make a big difference in any tank but there is always some effort needed for something to be enjoyable.

7. stepho

stepho Panda Puffer

Wouldn't it need dusted? Or is there a lid? lol.

8. Click Here!

9. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

If I remember my freshwater days, those plastic plants are terrible for "collecting" algae and need to be cleaned quite often. I'd rather have the real deal :)

10. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

some of the newer brands of artificial plants are very life like and made of materials other than plastic - in a mixed tank of live and artificial plants - sometimes its hard to tell which is which - you get what you pay for really

Amcarrig's point on Algae is valid - but if your using artificials, when they do get algae on them they can be removed, dipped in boiling water, cleaned off and re placed

I have had some- in with real plants and the set up can look effective

1 person likes this.
  11. cwick22

cwick22 Plankton

boiling water huh? I've never tried that. Thanks for the tip. I have fake plant 'cuz my cichlids keep digging up any real plants i put in. they look very real. I'd like to have real plants buts its just not practical. :-/

12. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

Real plants being used in a cichlid tank can be troublesome due to their large size and boisterous behavior, often times. So for that type of tank, real plants may not be the way to go unless using some of the more resillient plants like Amazon Swords or Bananna Plants possibly.
    For your tank saltyfresh, are you runiing dedicated lighting?
    Are you dosing iron?
    Do you have an ample supply of dissolved Carbon Dioxide in the water?
    What about species of fish that may consume the plantlife or damage it?
    Live plants offer a myriad of benefits to the equilibrium and success of an aquarium and if you take the right steps to ensure that the plants have what they need initially, it should help you down the road to be able to enjoy your tank to its fullest!
    Like any form of life their is always husbandry and compatibility requirements that need to be addressed and adhered to for optimal results!