Serious PO4 problems. Help!

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by norg., Sep 20, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. norg.

norg. Kole Tang

Well I believe I narrowed down where my PO4 problem has been coming from, not from my tank or its inhabitants but from the water mixing containers for my "fresh" salted used for water changes. The water coming from these tanks is at .224 PPM. My tanks are at less than half of that. Atleast the problem has been pinpointed. But how is this problem meant to be handled? I am using 2 50 gallon poly tanks and a brute trash can to do my water changes.

[​IMG]

My RO-DI unit is producing 0 TDS water. Getting rid of the storage containers is not really an option right now because thats around another 400 bucks that I dont have to get new ones. I was thinking about setting up a reactor to run GFO on my "fresh" water. The plastic might be leeching phosphates into the water so it will be an ongoing process to test the water going into the system. Is this a good idea? Does anyone have any better ideas? I was going to order the reactor and more GFO today so I can get it tomorrow and set it up, but input is much appreciated!

2. Click Here!

3. FatBastad

FatBastad Zoanthid

Well that sucks to hear but at least you've pinpointed the issue.

You know the GFO won't hurt so I guess it can't hurt!

4. dowtish

dowtish Horrid Stonefish

It's only showing P04 from the tank you mix with salt right? Not the Fresh tank, correct?

I would take the tank and fill it with some water and a couple of cups of bleach and let it sit for a day. Then rinse it very well, and then rinse it again. Put in some RODI and mix some salt up, and test again. See what you get.

5. Biocube

Biocube Giant Squid

What will the bleach do exactly? If the phosphates are coming from the plastic would that do anything?

6. dowtish

dowtish Horrid Stonefish

I dont think it is coming from the plastic. Unless he confirms it is coming from the tank that the RODI fresh water goes into. i think it is where you mix your saltwater over time, and there is a slight buildup of all the "extras" in the salt.

7. Biocube

Biocube Giant Squid

Interesting! I never thought about that!

8. Click Here!

9. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

I have a guy in my reef club that does this. Runs a reactor of gfo on his w/c water.. No reason it won't work, just an expense.

10. norg.

norg. Kole Tang

This is a good idea. I never thought the PO4 levels could creep this high up only because of continuous use. Ive only been using this set up for about 4 months so Im surprised to see that my PO4 levels are this high from this container. I dont want to throw away 130 gallons of "fresh" salt water so I think I will try to run some GFO on it. I need another reactor anyway and stocking up on GFO cant hurt. If I can clean up the existing water Ill use it, if not its going down the drain and the water containers will be bleached again.

11. norg.

norg. Kole Tang

This was pretty much my thought process as well. An added expense but if I dont have good colors and growth in my frag system its pretty much pointless to continue on with the build. lol When Im buying GFO in bulk its benefits really outweigh the costs. But I guess Ill find out when I start running GFO on the fresh water and see my results.

12. FaceOfDeceit

FaceOfDeceit Hockey Beard

How long have you been mixing salt up in that container without cleaning it (with bleach)? I have mine for over 18 months of continued use, and I have .02ppm of PO4 via Hanna. My Brute has all the extra clay build-up on the sides and bottom. I have tried to clean it once, with vinegar, and a brush. Nada. Then I got out the steel wool...still the clay remained. That was as far as I was going to take it...it doesn't seem to affect my PO4 levels.

I would still try the cleaning just to rule it out, but I am doubting, just from my experience that PO4 build-up due to continued usage would cause it. Good luck and keep us updated.