Selcon: How often?

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by ndtechie05, May 26, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ndtechie05

ndtechie05 Spaghetti Worm

Hey all. I was just wondering how often I should soak my food in the Selcon. I currently soak all of my feedings in Garlic Guard. I feed the following: Spectrum 1mm pellets, Ocean Nutrition Formula Two pellets, frozen mysis and formula B. Also sheets of green seaweed. I currently have a Purple and Hippo tang along with a Foxface. They usually get fed 1-2 times a day. I mix up what I feed everyday. Thanks for the help.

-Brett

2. Click Here!

3. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

once a day think of it like a multivitamin, all though i think selcon is just fatty acids.

4. ndtechie05

ndtechie05 Spaghetti Worm

So should I look into Vita-Chem to add as well?

5. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

wouldnt hurt, but i would also read the ingredients on the food your soaking to see if the dips are actually adding missing vitamins and fats, some flakes and pellets come with them already in them.

6. rayjay

rayjay Gigas Clam

In 15 years I've never "soaked" food in Selco type products as I see no need for it when using a decent food.
    However, when I feed live brine shrimp to any fish, I gut load them with various products, including Super Selco, spirulina, Algamac 3050, and Algamac Protein Plus.
    I don't plan on buying Selco again as the storage capability is not as good as the powdered Algamac 3050.

1 person likes this.
  7. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

I pour some drops every 4-5 days. Luna

8. Click Here!

9. horkn

horkn Giant Squid

I put a drop or two in the frozen fish food when I thaw it out.

I have noticed when fattening skinny or malnourished new fish, that the selcon appears to do the trick in addition to the other food. Then again, I don't have any proof, so it may be bunk, but it works for me... I think;)

10. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Agree 100%. Great advice.

11. BrianH123

BrianH123 Astrea Snail

Does anyone refrigerate their Selco? It doesn’t indicate on the bottle that this is necessary?

12. rayjay

rayjay Gigas Clam

Basically it is made up of fatty acids and will go rancid much faster if not refrigerated.
    I've always kept mine refrigerated.
    Even the AlgaMac 3050 powder that I now advocate in place of selco type emulsions is better kept in a refrigerator or freezer but no matter where it's kept, it will outlast the emulsions many times over.