seeding dry rock

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by 3snacks125, Aug 31, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. 3snacks125

3snacks125 Plankton

Hello,
    I am thinking about buying ten pounds of this dry rock from bulk reef supply.

BRS Fiji Dry Aquarium Live Rock - Bulk Reef Supply

I would seed the rock with this agricultured seeding rock from Marcos rocks.

Aquacultured Live Rock ( seed rock ) - MarcoRocks.com Store

Has anybody used this dry rock or this seeding rock? I don't want to buy the rock and find out it doesn't cycle in my aquarium well.

and if I bought ten pounds of dry rock for my 10 gallon and one on the seeding rocks how long would it take to cycle? a month? 2 months?

thanks,3snacks125

2. Click Here!

3. sailorguy

sailorguy Torch Coral

Never bought from those venders but I do think starting with dry rock is a good way to go.You could use a product such as Dr.Tims one and only or Birospera by Oceanic to help jump start the cycle.If you would like to seed with live that could also help but is not necessary.Seeding with live you could also be adding hitch hikers,this is sometimes good and sometimes not so good.It's hard to say how long your cycle will last but adding a bacteria supplement should speed things up a little.You just have to wait and test...wait and test.

4. 3snacks125

3snacks125 Plankton

thanks sailorguy but how would I cure the rock without live rock

5. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

Any ammonia source will start your cycle. Many use a raw shrimp from the grocery store. Once ammonia starts to rise, the bacteria will develop and grow. As already mentioned, using a bottled bacterial supplement will speed things up a bit.

6. 3snacks125

3snacks125 Plankton

thanks that really helped me

7. mikekx65

mikekx65 Skunk Shrimp

I'm also curious on how long it would take to seed the dry rock.

8. Click Here!

9. Ducncover

Ducncover Skunk Shrimp

ive bought pukani dry rock from brs and liked it. never bought seeding rock online, always bought live rock from LFS...I would think you would have less die off as its out of the water a shorter period of time with local rock and you can pick out pieces that you like vs online... as mentioned you can add bottled bacteria to kick start as well....

I would think if you started with 10 lbs dry and a pound of seeded with a bottle of bacteria you could cycle within a couple weeks maybe less

10. jhkim161

jhkim161 Plankton

Can you seed a dead rock solely using the Biospira without having a seed live rock?

11. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

Yes. In fact, you also do not need the bacterial supplement, just a source of ammonia.

12. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Yes, you do not need to anything. You can leave a cup of SW sitting and it will cycle eventually. Roughly you can assume a tank with dry rock and no seeding to take around 8 weeks to cycle, it's all about the nitrogen cycle.