Seeding Dry Rock

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by 2name, Dec 13, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. 2name

2name Plankton

Hi all,

So I've been bouncing ideas around in my head on how I want to start the biofilter in my new (first!) reef tank. Based on information I've gotten from here and other places, I've decided that what works best for me is to start with some dry rock and seed it with a small amount of live rock.

Specifically, I've got a 55-gal tank. I'm thinking of order 70 lbs. of dry rock from BRS and seeding it with 10 to 15 pounds of live rock (which, I'm hoping to get from, in order of preference, a local hobbyist, a LFS, Petco (please save groans. There's a Petco in the Twin Cities, Minnesota area that actually has a marine section that knows what it's doing)).

I'm wondering how this approach impacts the process for cycling. I'd prefer to cycle in my tank (though I understand this may be stinky). If I aquascape, add water, and then add the live rock, I'm hoping to get very little die-off given the local-ness of my live rock supply. What should I expect for cycle times? Do I need to wait for the dry rock to be visibly colonized before I add livestock? I've read that starting with good, cured live rock can cut cycling times to essentially zero because you don't have die-off and you have a pretty substantial source of nitrifying bacteria ready to go. Is that accurate?

Any advice on this would be helpful.

2. Click Here!

3. ReefBruh

ReefBruh Giant Squid

If you order rock from BRS, you are not going to need 70 lbs. That rock is bigger than it looks and more porous. You will probably need only 50 lbs. You can aquascape first, then add sand and water and start the cycling process from there. You can add the live rock later.

4. Coastie Reefer

Coastie Reefer Millepora

You don't actually need to "seed" you dry rock. The bacteria will grow on the dry rock without putting any live rock in the system. If you are wanting to seed coralline algae you can try to get some scrapings from a local reefer or maybe even a LFS. Just food for thought. If you do buy live rock make sure to check it closely for pests that you don't want in your system.

Looking forward to seeing your setup.

5. 2name

2name Plankton

So I've seen that you can start with dry rock and start the cycle from there. How will that impact cycle times (not that I want to seem impatient, which I understand is the kiss of death)? My undergraduate education is in biology/ecology and the whole "I can put some rock in water in Minnesota and it will eventually populate with the sort of nitrifying bacteria found on a coral reef in the tropics" just doesn't jibe with my education, but I've seen it enough places that I can have some trust.

What, if anything, do I need to do to get the cycle started then? Bacteria additives (which I've heard mostly mixed/negative reviews of)? Decaying seafood? Nothing (water and patience)?

Thanks guys.

6. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

A lot of people put a raw cocktail shrimp in the tank. With or without live rock or a bacterial supplement, you still need to provide a source of ammonia, then wait for the ammonia and nitrite to spike then drop back to zero.

7. Tavast

Tavast Bristle Worm

I am starting a tank also and have the same question with 100% dry rock would purple up or Bio-Spira by marineland help in speeding up the dry rock to live rock?

8. Click Here!

9. SteelerMike

SteelerMike Feather Duster

Not trying to hijack this thread, but what "pest" would you look for? I'm new as well and have read this alot, not sure what I would be looking for though.

10. Jmblec2

Jmblec2 Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

do some research there are many pests you do not want. and trust me you do not want them...